What's new

sp4 m3 power cord length?

Mikewired

Can someone with an m3 tell me the approximate length of the power cord that comes with the m3? I am trying to decide on the m3 or i5. My decision might be swayed by usually needing a longer power cord. When I had a sp3 last year I used a black power cord from an Apple TV into the brick for longer length. I recently returned a yoga 3 pro for terrible touchpad and it had a short power cord.

Thanks

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't see why it would be any different. They both use the same charger. And if it is too short, all you have to do is buy a $2 figure 8 cable. Seems pretty bizarre to consider spending £100 for a longer power cable.

raqball

The power cord for the core M is pretty short. On my SP3 I didn't need an extension cord to run power to where the unit sits but on the core M I do..

Also the core M uses a different power cord and brick than the SP4 i5 and SP4 i7 versions do @hughlle.

I'll measure the exact length later for you @Mikewired

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Really? had never seen that mentioned before. In that case, my apologies for the mistake and bad advice :)
I don't really get why they did that either. It's less powerful (lower wattage) and has different output voltage (15 volts vs 12 volts) than the other SP4 (i5/i7) power adapter but uses the same Surface Connect connector at the Surface end. It would almost make one think the battery is smaller however AFAWK the batteries in all SP4s is the same but that might explain the ... not that much better battery life than an i5. AFAIK the only teardown of an SP4 is for the m3 unless I forgot something.

jbowden

I don't really get why they did that either. It's less powerful (lower wattage) and has different output voltage (15 volts vs 12 volts) than the other SP4 (i5/i7) power adapter but uses the same Surface Connect connector at the Surface end. It would almost make one think the battery is smaller however AFAWK the batteries in all SP4s is the same but that might explain the ... not that much better battery life than an i5. AFAIK the only teardown of an SP4 is for the m3 unless I forgot something.

Its must be manufacture cost thing. Must be trying to save/increase margin on M3 unit....

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Its must be manufacture cost thing. Must be trying to save/increase margin on M3 unit....

But you'd have thought that if they standardized it across each model, then they would be better positioned to realize economies of scale for that component.

raqball

OP I am home now so do you still want me to measure it? I am talking about from the plug brick (it's different than the i5 and i7 versions) to the Sp4 connector?

If so let me know and I'll measure the length for you..

OP
M

Mikewired

I don't see why it would be any different. They both use the same charger. And if it is too short, all you have to do is buy a $2 figure 8 cable. Seems pretty bizarre to consider spending £100 for a longer power cable.
OP I am home now so do you still want me to measure it? I am talking about from the plug brick (it's different than the i5 and i7 versions) to the Sp4 connector?

If so let me know and I'll measure the length for you..
yes please