What's new

SP4 rumors

drolem

On the other hand, the speculations pertaining to the upcoming Surface Pro 3 replacement, the Surface Pro 4, are rife. According to Design & Trend, the Microsoft Surface Pro 4 will be launched in two different sizes. Plus, both models will come preloaded with the upcoming Windows 10 OS. To further corroborate this claim, another report states that one of the models will be a 12-inch tablet with 2,160 x 1,440 pixels resolution, while the other one will be the alleged "Surface Pro Mini" tablet.

Chinese source cnBeta, however, suggests that the larger of the two models could come with as big as 14-inch display, instead of the traditional 12-inch screen seen in the Surface Pro 3. Under the hood, the devices will reportedly be powered by Intel Core M processors. The Intel Core M processor is known for its efficiency in exerting longer battery life from the device. However, it cannot beat the high-performing Intel Core i series of chips like i3, i5 and i7 seen in the Surface Pro 3.

Meanwhile, the alleged Surface Pro Mini could reportedly come with an 8.0-inch display to give competition to Apple iPad Mini and Google Nexus tablets. Even though there is no official information available on the release date and price, the Surface Pro 4 is expected to be introduced sometime in 2015 for a relatively cheaper price than the Surface Pro 3. Nonetheless, Microsoft's Jan. 21 event for Windows 10 introduction might give some scoop on the Surface Pro 4, says the same site.

http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/577762/20150102/surface-pro-3-4.htm

The next iteration of Surface Pro will come out with Win 10, and roughly at the same time, that's for sure. However, I think the Mini was canned for good, and MS abandoned the small form factor market, especially since Win 8.1 is free on small tablets. ( see: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2139...iot-and-small-mobile-devices-but-not-pcs.html )

On the other hand, a tablet with a 14" display is very possible, and will follow the trend from SP1,2 to SP3.

mitchellvii

Although I know this will never happen I would really love seeing a larger screen SP4 with a Yoga Style keyboard and 3:2 aspect ratio. I'd never have traded my Yoga 2 Pro in for an SP3 in the first place if Lenovo weren't such idiots about refusing to include a digitizer in their "Pro" product.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Although I know this will never happen I would really love seeing a larger screen SP4 with a Yoga Style keyboard and 3:2 aspect ratio. I'd never have traded my Yoga 2 Pro in for an SP3 in the first place if Lenovo weren't such idiots about refusing to include a digitizer in their "Pro" product.
I'm a little surprised Logitech hasn't made a keyboard for the Surface, one that uses the keyboard connector not Bluetooth.

Logitech Keyboard, Surface Type Cover Hinge and connector or a mechanical hinge model + battery.
They make a new iPad keyboard about every quarter... :)

Last edited:

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here's a new one...
SP4 will include a Snapdragon 810 coprocessor to run native Android apps simultaneously/side-by-side.
You can partition 8-16gb of ram between Windows and Android. 4-12/4-12, 5-13/3+, 6-14/2+.
Two USB, Micro SD, & DisplayPorts homed to either Windows or Android with virtualized bidirectional pass through.
Two Wifi Adapters can be aggregated or split and homed to Windows or Android with virtual adapter support.
GPU virtualization allows using both GPUs simultaneously on Windows or Android dynamically.
USB 3.1 10gbps, type C reversible connectors.
Power Connector/expansion bus implemented as 16GT/s PCIe 4.0
Keyboard connector upgraded to USB 3.1 interface allowing use by other devices such as 3rd party expansion keyboards & docking stations.