What's new

SP4 screen freaks out

2_hotty

Has anyone else seen this issue? I've been dealing with this since day 1. When this happens the computer is unusable. I then have to restart a bunch of times until it stops. Sometimes it takes 3 restarts, sometimes 20.

Here are 2 youtube videos I uploaded of the problem. (I swear once in the first video, FYI)

I think I'm heading to the MS store, but it's not exactly close so I figured I would check to see if anyone else has this issue, and knows what I could do.

Thanks!

Pedrom

Looks like some weird touch screen problem.
I sometimes (rarely) have it on my SP3 where it flicks around at the top, but if I do a multi-finger tap anywhere on the screen it stops - no where near as bad as yours. I'd get a replacement asap!

Votality

Has anyone else seen this issue? I've been dealing with this since day 1. When this happens the computer is unusable. I then have to restart a bunch of times until it stops. Sometimes it takes 3 restarts, sometimes 20.

Here are 2 youtube videos I uploaded of the problem. (I swear once in the first video, FYI)

I think I'm heading to the MS store, but it's not exactly close so I figured I would check to see if anyone else has this issue, and knows what I could do.

Thanks!

If you have a screen protector on that can cause the issue. This happens with mine if i wipe the screen with a damp cloth and a bit of moisture sticks to the screen on the edge where the screen protector is. After it dries it works again. I suspect however you don't have a screen protector on and this is just a unit with a faulty digitizer,

erik braun

I have the same problem - really annoying. Starts up apps, closes them. Stops after some time. 2_hotty: what are you going to do with it? Have been to MS stores so often now.. SP4 is great machine, but quality is not so great

OP

2_hotty

I'm going to go there today to see if they will do anything for me. This is my main work machine. I can't have it not work like that all the time.

I agree about the SP4. When working its great. I kind of wish I didn't upgrade from the SP3 to the 4, as I didn't have this issue with my old one.

OP

2_hotty

Yeah my SP3 was rock solid. I'm in IT, and I gave my boss my SP3 when I upgraded. I'm glad I did that instead of giving him the new one though, as he would lose his mind if he had to deal with this crap.

I went to the MS store yesterday. He ran some program on it to calibrate the touchscreen, which obviously didn't work. We did recreate the issue there though, so they are going to replace it for me. They didn't have any in stock, and my account doesn't have the cross ship option, so I have to wait for them to get one in. (I'm on call, I can't be without my computer)

So when they get one in, I'm going to get a new one. The only concern is when I asked when that would be, I was told "we get them in fairly frequently". I have no idea what that means.

OP

2_hotty

FYI, I got a replacement from Microsoft and it hasn't happened since. The one tech there said that he's seen a few issues where the glue used to hold the screen on actually caused this issue, as some of it got too close to the screen itself. Not sure about that, but the new ones been working great.

Surface4TeePee

I had a different screen problem - where images shake when I first boot up. I contacted support and they exchanged my unit. It was a zero fuss, very well followed up procedure.