SP4 switches itself on

Discussion in 'Microsoft Surface Pro 4' started by mmo, Jul 31, 2016.

1. mmo

mmo Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    I witness that my SP4 again and again switches itself on every few hours. And this is apparently not just to quickly check for emails or such but for quite some time. It then always boots up, the fan starts working pretty loud and it keeps "looking for you" for some while before powering off again.

Annoyingly this again and again happens very early in the morning, i.e. if one has the device in the sleeping room, it wakes you up! Another time is shortly after noon.

Why is this so? As already on my previous SP3 there is again no (easily) identifiable culprit:

C:\Users\mmo>powercfg -lastwake
    Wake History Count - 0

C:\Users\mmo>powercfg -devicequery wake_armed
    NONE

I wouldn't mind a short wakeup that goes unnoticed, but the fan is a real nuisance during night hours!

Hints? Guesses?
    Michael

2. gtmead09

gtmead09 Member

My Device:
    SPro4
    I had this issue previously, I eventually had to have mine replaced. It would boot up and UEFI screen randomly.....

3. macmee

macmee Active Member

windows is so crap that I always just power down my device when im done using it

this has been a bug ever since the surface pro 1. It has gotten better and more rare but will never be fixed IMO.

4. hughlle

hughlle Super Moderator Staff Member

Never encountered it myself on sp3, sp4, s3, all running windows 8.1 and then every build of 10 since the launch of the insider program.

Surely it must

5. macmee

macmee Active Member

to microsofts credit its happened less on my sp4 but it still happens sometimes. The annoying cases related to sleep are:

1. sleep panics which crash the kernel and cause the device to reboot in sleep

2. put the device to sleep and it continues to use a high level of CPU usage sometimes with the fan going

3. I put it to sleep and come back 10 minutes later and its on with the lock screen

I've had a similar problem to #1 with my retina imac, that one could be that something's exploding as the device tries switching power modes. Due to 2 I always shut my device off before putting it in any sort of bag because I don't trust it anymore and I don't know why 3 happens.