What's new

Sp4 vs sp3? Student

Henki7

was thinking about buying sp4 m3 og sp3 i5 but i dont Know anything about specs etc.
What would you guys choose and why?
This device will only be needed on school and spotify etc. Have another computer for gaming. Please help me, thanks

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you can wait a week there will be some info on the SP4 m3 that isn't available today.

For your stated purpose I would go with the SP4 m3 because it will run cooler, quieter, and hopefully have longer battery life (To Be Determined) in addition to the best Pen support, better cameras, the best screen, Windows Hello logon, & faster SSD. Performance wise there may not be a lot of difference (TBD). Downside is it's currently an unknown quantity, we'll know more soon.

If you went with an SP3: IDK if there's any benefit to buying the SP4 pen for an SP3 other than the changeable tips but it would be an extra expense since both come with a Pen (SP3 w SP3Pen, SP4 w SP4Pen). The SP4 Keyboard with the SP3 would be worthwhile and lists for the same price, you have to buy it separately either way. Certainly an SP3 i5 would do what you need, as should the m3, but today it's a known quantity.

Last edited:

Tsuekasa

It comes down to budget really. I currently have a sp3. It's already perfect to be honest. For my needs, I do a lot of digital art and that's the only reason why I'm looking to upgrade. I currently use a i7 128gb model of the sp3. But I had the sp3 i5 model before the and the performance was still great. If you can get a sp3 for cheap get that. But if you don't care about cost. Get a sp4, the upgrades are really not all that huge at all. They just took something perfect and made it even more perfect..You might even be just fine with a surface 3. If you're going the sp4 route, look into the m3 surface pro 4. That is the idea model for your needs.

OP
H

Henki7

It comes down to budget really. I currently have a sp3. It's already perfect to be honest. For my needs, I do a lot of digital art and that's the only reason why I'm looking to upgrade. I currently use a i7 128gb model of the sp3. But I had the sp3 i5 model before the and the performance was still great. If you can get a sp3 for cheap get that. But if you don't care about cost. Get a sp4, the upgrades are really not all that huge at all. They just took something perfect and made it even more perfect..You might even be just fine with a surface 3. If you're going the sp4 route, look into the m3 surface pro 4. That is the idea model for your needs.

Yeah was thinking about the m3. But i have no idea about specs. Do you think the m3 is good enough for my interest? Or should i go for the sp3 with i5?

spinedoc77

Are you on a budget? If so, the SP3 without a doubt, you'll be able to get much more for your money. I got a SP4 and just sold my i5 8gb/256gb SP3 with type cover on swappa for under 1k. I didn't care much about haggling and just wanted to sell it quickly.

The M3 sounds nice, but 4gb RAM seems weak, and I could never live with 128gb storage. But if the specs work it seems to be a great, inexpensive option.

fletch33

i do not use a lot of heavy resource apps BUT still would not buy a PC today that had less than 8GB ram because if you watch your ram it will use more than 4GB easily if it has it.

if i were on a budget i would buy the SP3 i5

OP
H

Henki7

No not really on a budget, I will get the sp4 25% off here in norway. (will not tell why i get the discount)
So the m3 will not be good enough for my use? the mp3 i5 is better after the updates on mp4?
thanks for answers btw !

otherminds

Keep the SP3 i5 and simply upgrade to the SP4 typcover and pen. Thats what I did and its definitely the way to go.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
i do not use a lot of heavy resource apps BUT still would not buy a PC today that had less than 8GB ram because if you watch your ram it will use more than 4GB easily if it has it.

if i were on a budget i would buy the SP3 i5

That is because that is what it is designed to do. Even if you only need 2gb of ram, if you have 8gb the OS will find a way of making use of it. You don't necessarily need more than 4gb, but because the machine sees you have 8gb, it tells itself might as well make use of it. Sure if cost is no money than go for 8gb, but the truth is that for 99% of users, 4gb is more than enough. I have never encountered an instance where i've felt a need for more than 4gb, and will continue to buy with 4gb. It is all based on the usage, but 8gb is just wasted if all you are doing is listening to music and using the internet and MS office.