What's new

SP4- Windows Hello

Is the version of Hello on the SP4 the one that is supposed to be super secure? Does that mean the 5MP front camera is a "RealSense 3D camera"? I couldn't get the store to show me it working. Does anybody know if it's really fast? Or works well in different lighting?
So you could even use the camera on the SP4 to create 3D mapping of objects.

From Intel:
Devices with Intel® RealSense™ Camera have three lenses: a conventional camera, an infrared camera, and an infrared laser projector. Together, the three lenses allow the device to infer depth by detecting infrared light that has bounced back from objects in front of it. This visual data, taken in combination with Intel® RealSense™ motion-tracking software, create a touch-free interface that responds to hand, arm, and head motions as well as facial expressions.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
The front camera is the one with RealSense for Windows Hello, the back camera from what I understand does not have RealSense. No idea yet how it works in practice. Also I assume the Camera Requirements for Windows Hello technology is not the same as the 3D imaging technology.

Last edited:

Johnny365

You probably need good lighting conditions for the SP4 to see your image. It's not like a magic camera that can log you in a room with no lights on.

OP
S

starstreak

I asked because I couldn't tell if there was two or more cameras. I know there needs to be light. Lol. But wondering how optimal it should be. Glad I ordered the thumbprint scanner.

mikejg

I just got an SP4 M3. I didn't try Windows Hello in pitch black but it found my face very quickly in low light. If it's infrared then it probably would work in total darkness. Regardless, I was very impressed. The best thing was I didn't have to be lined up directly with the camera. I didn't have to think about it, it just worked. So far I think this technology is awesome. It's faster and easier than a fingerprint reader would be. I hope it works this well on the new Lumia phones.

fletch33

i set mine up first thing and it has worked in perfect light and in bedroom with just TV on for light. very impressive as i setup the fingerprint scan thinking i would need it in poor light but so far no issues with light.

mva5580

I'm having sign on problems.

I setup this Windows Hello login and now when I turn on my SP4 again, nothing happens. I get to the login screen and I guess it's detecting me.....but I'm not logged into a network on it and it's like it is stopping me at that point and there is now absolutely nothing I can do on the device. I'm just staring at the login screen where it shows my name and picture and it doesn't allow me to choose/do anything. All I can do is sleep/turn it off, only to come right back to that point.

"Sign in options" is greyed out.....I guess because I'm not connected to a network....for some reason? I mean am I literally not allowed to use this machine unless I'm connected to a network?

And if you're going to ask me how I'm posting this without the SP4 being on a network, I'm at work posting this on a different device.

This page talks about what to do if the SP4 is offline and you use Hello, but it does not work. Like I said "Sign-in options" is greyed out and unable to be selected and if I click the Wi-Fi icon at the bottom right (or the other 2) nothing happens as well.

Last edited:

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Probably a silly question, but I assume that your hello details (fingerprint or whatever) are tied to the device and not your MS account?

mva5580

Probably a silly question, but I assume that your hello details (fingerprint or whatever) are tied to the device and not your MS account?

Well I have an MS account on the device and I went into the settings to take my picture/setup the Windows Hello login....but should it matter?

I mean if I were to guess I would probably say that it IS tied to my MS Account but in the event that I'm offline, the device should allow me to sign in via the PIN/password/whatever alternate method rather than try to use my face, tell me I'm offline, and then, not allow me to do anything. It even says "Your device is offline. Sign in with the last password that you used on this device." But it didn't allow me to do that, or anything else for that matter.

I was finally able to get the "Sign in options" option to not be greyed out, and the only thing I did different was remove the Type Cover. So perhaps there is a problem with that. Oh and when it detects that you're offline and it asks you to use an alternate method to sign in, but it just continually tries to detect my face and sign in online. I've rebooted to try it again and now it's just constantly looping on that. There are definitely some problems here.

Not overly impressed so far.

Last edited:

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well I have an MS account on the device and I went into the settings to take my picture/setup the Windows Hello login....but should it matter?

I mean if I were to guess I would probably say that it IS tied to my MS Account but in the event that I'm offline, the device should allow me to sign in via the PIN/password/whatever alternate method rather than try to use my face, tell me I'm offline, and then, not allow me to do anything. It even says "Your device is offline. Sign in with the last password that you used on this device." But it didn't allow me to do that, or anything else for that matter.

I was finally able to get the "Sign in options" option to not be greyed out, and the only thing I did different was remove the Type Cover. So perhaps there is a problem with that. Oh and when it detects that you're offline and it asks you to use an alternate method to sign in, but it just continually tries to detect my face and sign in online. I've rebooted to try it again and now it's just constantly looping on that. There are definitely some problems here.

Not overly impressed so far.

What I mean by tied to the MS account is in relation to the cloud. As I say, I think it is probably just a silly question (i don't know how Apple do it) but who in their right mind would put their fingerprints on the internet regardless how secure they argue it is.

mva5580

What I mean by tied to the MS account is in relation to the cloud. As I say, I think it is probably just a silly question (i don't know how Apple do it) but who in their right mind would put their fingerprints on the internet regardless how secure they argue it is.

I don't know man, I don't use the fingerprint portion so I can't speak to that. I use the facial recognition.

All I know is I literally cannot login to this device at all and it's really getting frustrating. I guess the first thing I do when I get home is I'm turning off the face login if it's freaking impossible to use the device if you're not connected to a network.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't know man, I don't use the fingerprint portion so I can't speak to that. I use the facial recognition.

All I know is I literally cannot login to this device at all and it's really getting frustrating. I guess the first thing I do when I get home is I'm turning off the face login if it's freaking impossible to use the device if you're not connected to a network.

Definately something I need to learn about then. Fingerprint, iris scanner, you name it, why would I be so stupid as to put that in the cloud just to save typing 4 digits.

Good to know about its functionality when offline though. My computers have internet access probably about 1% of the time.

This is more just in search of information though, no way I'd actually use hello. I'm glad to say I might be lazy but I'm not yet at societies level :) I have faceial unlock on my phone, had fingerprint on the iPad, and never used either feature. Utter gimmicks imo.