What's new

SPro Accessories

CrippsCorner

He just explained it dude, it's the way the Microsoft dock connects to the Surface... it's not capable of a gig connection.

Zimmy

Huh?
Doesn't the MS Dock connect via USB 3.0, just like the Plugable???

[edit]
Umm, yes...
[video=youtube;6Ay7JiUZou4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ay7JiUZou4[/video]

I guess the super smart IT guy didn't see how it connects.
It has nothing to do with the port on the bottom, as you can see, the touch cover is being used.

So, the question is still out there, why did MS not go with 10/100?

Last edited:

T-Bob

Docking Station Option- Anker 3.0 Docking Station

I'm only just now noticing that the docking station's Ethernet port is only 10/100 and does not support Gigabit Ethernet. What's up with that?! :mad2:

At home, I'm all wired for Gigabit Ethernet, so using the docking station's Ethernet port would be a step down for me and I certainly am not going to do that. That's very disappointing.

I got this to use with both my job supplied laptop and my new Surface Pro 2. So far- VERY impressed. Does have 10/100/1000 base, and allows two displays to stay hooked up via HDMI and DVI-I (I adaptored back to VGA). May be worth looking into.

labtail

I use mine mostly for artwork and casual stuff, so what I'd LIKE to have is a touch cover with no keyboard at all. Just give me a $3.00 cover that will protect my screen! Heck, I'd pay 20-30 for the magnetic fit.
So, I shelled out the money for a touch cover.

Yes, I can get a sleeve, but that's not quite the same level of convenience as flipping open the cover...

OP
F

fonzman78

Yes, you do have a point there actually, wasn't thinking about it logically! The question remains...

ok, let's think this thru logically. The SP has no Ethernet port. To get Ethernet, you need to use an Ethernet dongle attached to the USB 3 port. Right? The dock has a nub that connects the USB 3 port on the SP to the USB 3 port on the SP. A direct pass thru apparently. Right? This lets you have USB 3 on the dock. The dock has an Ethernet port. It is 10/100. Where/how does this Ethernet port attach or pass thru on the SP? If the USB 3 port is a pass thru to the dock, then what powers/feeds the Ethernet port on the dock?

If the SP connects to the Ethernet port on the dock via the USB 3 pass thru, then I agree that it is a fail as they should've have gone with GigE. Dock is going back as it appears I would need a dongle to get GigE.

If the SP connects to the Ethernet port via the magnetic strip, then it could stand to reason that it only supports 10/100. Then, perhaps a not a fail on the dock but a (bad) limitation.

I'm overthinking it. Bottom line, could they have just messed up and not included a GigE port? Sigh, I guess I will not get a good tech answer. Dock is probably going back.

oion

I use mine mostly for artwork and casual stuff, so what I'd LIKE to have is a touch cover with no keyboard at all. Just give me a $3.00 cover that will protect my screen! Heck, I'd pay 20-30 for the magnetic fit.
So, I shelled out the money for a touch cover.

Yes, I can get a sleeve, but that's not quite the same level of convenience as flipping open the cover...

A used Touch 1 is probably the cheapest you can get right now. If you don't mind other people's grubby finger cooties.

CrippsCorner

ok, let's think this thru logically. The SP has no Ethernet port. To get Ethernet, you need to use an Ethernet dongle attached to the USB 3 port. Right? The dock has a nub that connects the USB 3 port on the SP to the USB 3 port on the SP. A direct pass thru apparently. Right? This lets you have USB 3 on the dock. The dock has an Ethernet port. It is 10/100. Where/how does this Ethernet port attach or pass thru on the SP? If the USB 3 port is a pass thru to the dock, then what powers/feeds the Ethernet port on the dock?

If the SP connects to the Ethernet port on the dock via the USB 3 pass thru, then I agree that it is a fail as they should've have gone with GigE. Dock is going back as it appears I would need a dongle to get GigE.

If the SP connects to the Ethernet port via the magnetic strip, then it could stand to reason that it only supports 10/100. Then, perhaps a not a fail on the dock but a (bad) limitation.

I'm overthinking it. Bottom line, could they have just messed up and not included a GigE port? Sigh, I guess I will not get a good tech answer. Dock is probably going back.

Well you know, they can't make things perfect first time... or who would buy the Dock 2!? Same with bringing out the Surface Pro 2 so soon after the original, and I bet they bring out a bluetooth enabled Cover soon, just after you've already bought the converter.