What's new

Solved SPro2 Maximum Memory Issue - won't start

vivre14

I am looking for a way to change maximum memory via the command prompt, or other solution if there is one.

The problem is of my own making; I was trying to install a program which had an error, and came across forum advice to change the maximum memory to avoid said error. So like a good little lemming here is what I did:
- Went into msconfig, boot tab, advanced options
- Checked 'maximum memory' and entered 265
- Restart

Now windows won't start, presumably because it can't access enough memory to do so! System restore fails. I am able to access the command prompt however, and thus am hoping there is a way I can return the maximum memory to normal via the cmd.

Yes I am aware this was a very silly move on my behalf. Lesson learnt. Your help is appreciated ^_^

OP
V

vivre14

After trying this the cmd says:
"An error occurred while attempting to delete the specified data element.
Element not found."

OP
V

vivre14

I tried the one above it (option 2, step 3) to input a specified memory value, putting in 4294967296 (4GB which is what the SPro2 has), it completed successfully but I still have the same issue of failing to start windows. A system restore appeared to complete successfully but again, it will not start windows.

malberttoo

I tried the one above it (option 2, step 3) to input a specified memory value, putting in 4294967296 (4GB which is what the SPro2 has), it completed successfully but I still have the same issue of failing to start windows. A system restore appeared to complete successfully but again, it will not start windows.
Did you do the last one I did, where you have to locate and enter the GUID?

OP
V

vivre14

I just did (I didn't see the post before I posted last). And thank you so much, it appears to have worked!!! I won't be playing around with memory in the future lol!!

malberttoo

I've been doing IT work for a long time now and have never seen or done anything where that value needed to be adjusted. I agree, best to stay away! :D