What's new

SPro4 Rear camera issue?

Carlos Patino

I'm having the same issue. You may have already done this, but this is what I have done. Called MS. Follow all of their instruction which include WSRESET, DISM.exe ......., Uninstall/reinstall App, and even reset the device using a recovery drive. After the reset the camera worked, until I did an App update. It seems that the issue is with the last App update. They need to really test out this things before releasing them. I installed another Camera app and that one works well, but does not have the same features as the MS Camera App. I hope they fix this issue soon.

btreece

I'm having the same issue. You may have already done this, but this is what I have done. Called MS. Follow all of their instruction which include WSRESET, DISM.exe ......., Uninstall/reinstall App, and even reset the device using a recovery drive. After the reset the camera worked, until I did an App update. It seems that the issue is with the last App update. They need to really test out this things before releasing them. I installed another Camera app and that one works well, but does not have the same features as the MS Camera App. I hope they fix this issue soon.
Carlos, Is the camera app from the MS store & what is the name of the app that you got to work? Thanks!

OP
Y

yogamandan

Looks like I spoke too soon... now experiencing same issue with exchanged SP4's camera, but more intermittently... :0 Must be the Camera app issue ID'd by Carlos, above.

OP
Y

yogamandan

The Santa Clara Microsoft store (near Apple's headquarters!) also said that this rear camera issue is a software issue. They told me to wait a week for a possible firmware fix, so it is great that you posted your experience!
My "bad camera" unit has locked up on occasion and always on web surfing. The pen has stopped working on occasion and has a real hard time pairing with OneNote.

I also wanted an Apple iPad to run OS X and on my PC, skipped Windows 8 & 8.1, waiting for MS to get the desktop / tablet balance figured out. With Windows 10, they did just that & so I waited for what the iPad Pro & Surface Pro 4 features & specs were going to be.

Tim Cook announced the iPad Pro with variable touch sensitivity but running on iOS. He stated that a hybrid Mac/iPad was like mixing a refrigerator with a toaster. Bad move on his part, because like you, I was waiting for the refrigerator/toaster hybrid and am NOT an Apple only/MS only/Android only consumer!

I am happy with the Surface Pro 4 as the hybrid balance is just right. I fully expected some of these issues due to the rush to market. I have waited in those iPhone lines waiting for a product that can't run effectively until a month after you buy it! I will wait it out this week without a rear camera and will try and return it if there is no firmware update.
BTW, MS Maps is not showing a graphical representation of the streets, just the street names! Is this also what you are seeing on the Surface Pro 4?

btreece, confirming that the camera issue returned on new unit, so likely a software/firmware issue. Also - am reproducing same bug with MS Maps.

leeshor

The first time I tried to switch from the rear to the front camera it crashed but since then the camera has worked fine both front and rear.

Note that when it was new, (2 days ago), I checked for updates until there were none. Had to update and restart 3 times before it was done.

GoodBytes

Microsoft released (just now) a new update to the Camera app in Windows 10 fixing issues related to the cameras of the Surface Book and Surface Pro 4. Make sure you have the latest version of the Camera app (Open the store, click on your profile picture next to the search bar at the top right, a menu will show, click on 'Download and Update', click on 'Check for update' button, then click on 'Update all' if it didn't start the update.

If you don't see any update, then it could mean you already have it.

btreece

Microsoft released (just now) a new update to the Camera app in Windows 10 fixing issues related to the cameras of the Surface Book and Surface Pro 4. Make sure you have the latest version of the Camera app (Open the store, click on your profile picture next to the search bar at the top right, a menu will show, click on 'Download and Update', click on 'Check for update' button, then click on 'Update all' if it didn't start the update.

If you don't see any update, then it could mean you already have it.
Thanks for the info -- another path to check for updates. No updates to the camera app for me, but will keep checking! Map app also has a bug that will not show the streets -- only the street names.

GoodBytes

Thanks for the info -- another path to check for updates. No updates to the camera app for me, but will keep checking! Map app also has a bug that will not show the streets -- only the street names.
By defaults, Apps are updated automatically.