What's new

SSD Upgrade WITHOUT Removing Screen

r0b123

Wow, that's crazy awesome! Definitely would need an exact template on where the SSD is, but also start with the low end 64gb model to play with.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's a pretty rough cut and it appears there's a piece of the case attached to the SSD.

Wrong tool, used the wrong way, Norm Abrahams head will explode if he sees this. :)

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
You could make a much better cut with a cutting wheel and the Dremel mounted horizontally vs vertical and precisely control the depth of cut. The way it was done using a drill like a router resulted in a very jagged and uneven cut, very easy to go horribly wrong that way. I see 90% of the attempts using this method resulting in catastrophic failure.

CrippsCorner

why-u-no-guy-meme-gif.gif

what an ingenious way to get lots of conductive metal filings inside the innards, right next to the motherboard. Its also a great way to cut your hand on jagged edged metal every time you pick it up with the stand open.

OP
dstrauss

dstrauss

If you go to the blog where he details what he did, note how UNBELIEVABLY CLOSE that cut is to the Li Battery - explosion, burn, leak?

kundas1

no offence to anyone intended.. but what a retarded way to change out the SSD... SOOO many things can go wrong and like others have said previously with examples

Haldi

Yeah... i think the Battery is the most dangerous thing. If you go just a little to deep you can cut open the battery.
You'd need a really good dept control here. no idea if dremel can provide such a thing.

And i wouldn't try such a thing if you can't seal it properly.
If you cut it out well it maybe might work with a metal compound glue... no idea how well that stuff works on magnesium but the glue should be able to hold in 45°C (Yep.. that's the CASE temperature on this point or a few centimeters above while under full throttling and gaming)