What's new

SSD Upgrade WITHOUT Removing Screen

JORGE_MALAGON

Hello, I´m the "MadMan", I should have recorded a video of the cut, was not as dangerous as it sounds, the drill has a precision level line and have a "lock" that prevent to go deeper, so I never was close (Nothing more than 1 milimeter!!) to cut any more than the back, my problem was how to cut straight lines ... or maybe... if any of you want me to do the same upgrade to your Surface Pro 3, I promise to improve the process... and I would make it for free !!! ( I'm just kidding)

Here the original post, and semi-final look http://bit.ly/1D00i0b

And thanks for all the opinions, my Surface become my work laptop and is the envy of all my IT colleagues, and everyone has a strong (good or bad) opinion of the upgrade. =D

Unique Surface Pro 3 i7/1 TB SSD!!

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
They can easily do this. But there is a very good reason they didn't. Profit.
Actually, under US and EU Regulations if the case is not sealed the battery must be sealed, this adds weight and cost and also prevents using non-standard battery configurations.

OP
dstrauss

dstrauss

Actually, under US and EU Regulations if the case is not sealed the battery must be sealed, this adds weight and cost and also prevents using non-standard battery configurations.

Then how do Dell (XPS 15), Lenovo (ThinkPad Yoga), and others get away with removable bottom plates on their laptops (so you can remove/upgrade ram and ssd)? Those batteries are not sealed.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want the SPro 3 to grow to be 0.5" again, but why couldn't the bottom plat under the kickstand be removable for upgrades?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Then how do Dell (XPS 15), Lenovo (ThinkPad Yoga), and others get away with removable bottom plates on their laptops (so you can remove/upgrade ram and ssd)? Those batteries are not sealed.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want the SPro 3 to grow to be 0.5" again, but why couldn't the bottom plat under the kickstand be removable for upgrades?

You can design the system to allow this but the "sealed" case is still a requirement, so the case design has to ensure that chamber created won't expose the unsealed batteries, again this will add bulk\weight to the system or reduce the amount of battery.

Both the Dell and Lenovo have much more surface era (no pun intended) than the SP3.

CrippsCorner

Hello, I´m the "MadMan", I should have recorded a video of the cut, was not as dangerous as it sounds, the drill has a precision level line and have a "lock" that prevent to go deeper, so I never was close (Nothing more than 1 milimeter!!) to cut any more than the back, my problem was how to cut straight lines ... or maybe... if any of you want me to do the same upgrade to your Surface Pro 3, I promise to improve the process... and I would make it for free !!! ( I'm just kidding)

Here the original post, and semi-final look http://bit.ly/1D00i0b

And thanks for all the opinions, my Surface become my work laptop and is the envy of all my IT colleagues, and everyone has a strong (good or bad) opinion of the upgrade. =D

Well thanks for joining up! I think your creation will forever stay unique :D

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well there would be support cost increases too and failure increases caused by customers futzing with it, so the unit price would go up as well.

No customer FRUs (Field Replaceable Units) is the best.

ynohtna

Hello, I´m the "MadMan",...

Welcome! I think what you did was awesome regardless of dangers or voided warranty involved lol.

There are those of us who would be willing to pay a premium such as CTO with Lenovo.

Yea I'm coming from a couple Lenovo's (x200t & helix) and I found the surface pro3 pricing cheap comparatively lol, especially for what you get. Technology is definitely getting cheaper and better.

ptrkhh

Its also a great way to cut your hand on jagged edged metal every time you pick it up with the stand open.
The entire window, including the jagged edges around it, are covered with a sticker, so it should be safe. Nobody would leave the door open all the time.