What's new

Standard Exchange-In Warranty

CrippsCorner

Well it still wasn't smooth but I've finally got my Surface on the record for replacement. Time to wait and see what I get I guess (and whether it actually fixes the problem!)

gabe406

Well it still wasn't smooth but I've finally got my Surface on the record for replacement. Time to wait and see what I get I guess (and whether it actually fixes the problem!)

I would be very interested in hearing about your experience in this process.

Striknine

I was having issues with my surface and was about to send it back to them. Kept getting the blue screen errors. After hearing about the quality of the refurbished units , I took mine into the local retail store. I expressed my concerns about getting a scratched or damaged refurbished unit. They said they did not ship out surfaces with damage or cosmetic issues.
Roughly 10 minutes later they handed me a brand-new surface Pro right out-of-the-box.
I kept great care of the one that was not functioning properly and I wasn't going to take one that looked any different. YMMV

gabe406

I was having issues with my surface and was about to send it back to them. Kept getting the blue screen errors. After hearing about the quality of the refurbished units , I took mine into the local retail store. I expressed my concerns about getting a scratched or damaged refurbished unit. They said they did not ship out surfaces with damage or cosmetic issues.
Roughly 10 minutes later they handed me a brand-new surface Pro right out-of-the-box.
I kept great care of the one that was not functioning properly and I wasn't going to take one that looked any different. YMMV

Good move there. I do believe that will be my next move when this on breaks. Good for you, and I agree with your thoughts and results.

CrippsCorner

I would be very interested in hearing about your experience in this process.

Found http://myservice.surface.com and went to register my Surface. The image of where the serial number was, was wrong. I believe the image was from a Surface Pro 2, despite already selecting that I have a Surface Pro. Anyway I got it registered on there and it was showing up okay.

Went to select the area where my problem was and got a little confused... but with network issues, they won't send you a replacement. With a performance issue however, they will. So that's what I selected. You have a limit of 1,000 words to describe your problem, which I nearly used up completely. I entered this, and other details and it took me to the page regarding standard exchange/advanced exchange and my address etc.

Filled it all out, hit send and it took me back to the original log in screen. Rather strange, and I didn't know if it went through or not, so thought I'd give it 24 hours to see what happened. Nothing happened... that's why I came on here and started describing my issues. I was told to try using IE instead of Chrome. When I got home I did as was recommended.

I got to the same stage with IE, and it took me to the next screen this time, where I had to provide payment information (it's free, but places a 'hold' on your card in case you don't send your original Surface back) here it said my card had expired, which it had since I bought my Surface. Unfortunately it doesn't give you anywhere to edit your card details. So I went to add a new card instead. Problem is, only the expiry date had changed... the card number was the same. You might be able to guess what happened next, 'This card is already registered with us'
angry.png

So... I thought I'd try just going on Microsoft Corporation and see if I could get any further on there. Eventually I found a part of the website about your profile, and inside I found a place to edit my card details. I did so, and went back to the service site. It added the card okay. I hit finish, or whatever it said. Once again (as it did with Chrome) it took me back to the original log in screen! In fact it got even weirder as when I went to try again, it logged me out!? At this point I was getting very frustrated and went for a relaxing bath lol.

Thought I'd give it one more go before bed. Blah blah blah I got through to the same point as last time. I was nervous clicking on the finish button but this time something different happened. Well I say different, what I actually mean is nothing. The little circle for loading a website came up for about one second, then stopped. All the buttons where now grayed out. I pressed finish again anyway and the same thing happen with the loading circle. Tried it again, same... I swore, loudly, turned the Surface off and went to bed frustrated.

Woke up in the morning and somehow it had bloody worked. So it's coming, which is of course good news. But really... I'm using a Microsoft website on a Microsoft Surface to send a Microsoft product back. You think they of all companies could make this work don't you!