What's new

Standby Battery Life is Poor

bshaf

There are a large list of updates about a month ago along with a firmware update. Ever since that happened my standby battery life is very poor. If I go to bed with my surface 2 fully changed I will wake up with about 10% left. I have a type keyboard connected full time and initially I thought it might be tied to that so one night I tried leaving it disconnect but I still woke up with a drained battery. Does anyone else have this issue? Anyone have any idea on how to resolve it?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
From an elevated Command Prompt run powercfg.exe -energy and copy the report to your desktop and open in IE to find out what is preventing sleep.

OP
B

bshaf

From an elevated Command Prompt run powercfg.exe -energy and copy the report to your desktop and open in IE to find out what is preventing sleep.

Thanks for the tip. So I ran the report, but I can't tell from the report what is preventing sleep. Where in the report does it say?

Yes,one of the updates in the March bundle are the cause. I resolved it by uninstalling the offending update. Unfortunately the April update reapplied the troublemaker and the problem returned. So I had to remove it again. There's a lengthy thread on Microsoft's forum on the issue. I don't have the specifics handy but will post when I get them.

OP
B

bshaf

Yes,one of the updates in the March bundle are the cause. I resolved it by uninstalling the offending update. Unfortunately the April update reapplied the troublemaker and the problem returned. So I had to remove it again. There's a lengthy thread on Microsoft's forum on the issue. I don't have the specifics handy but will post when I get them.

I tried but this forum doesn't allow .html files to be attached.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I tried but this forum doesn't allow .html files to be attached.

Ok, let's try an easier report to read, same steps as above but with a different switch....

powercfg /sleepstudy

You'll need to move the "*.html" file from the system32 directory to your profile to open it.... it should tell you what is preventing Connected Standby....

OP
B

bshaf

Ok, let's try an easier report to read, same steps as above but with a different switch....

powercfg /sleepstudy

You'll need to move the "*.html" file from the system32 directory to your profile to open it.... it should tell you what is preventing Connected Standby....

Here is my report. Still not too sure what its telling me.

Attachments

• sleepstudy-report1.zip
    33.9 KB · Views: 794

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Do you have a Bluetooth Mouse or Keyboard pared? Or a 2.4GHz Mouse or other USB device plugged in? What is impacting your battery is a unregistered hardware device that is preventing Connected Standby, it's 100% Active.

Last edited:
OP
B

bshaf

Do you have a Bluetooth Mouse or Keyboard pared? Or a 2.4GHz Mouse or other USB device plugged in? What is impacting your battery is a unregistered hardware device that is preventing Connected Standby, it's 100% Active.

I have none of those items. I have a touch keyboard connected and an SD card plugged in and that's it. How do I remove this device?

Deckyon

Wait, do you have iTunes or any other Apple software installed (including QuickTime?) Or the iCloud control panel? What about a different phone or even wifi printer that never fully installed? Check Devices and Printers in the Control Panel and see if there are any devices with the yellow caution symbol.

Last edited:

kundas1

It's a Surface 2 he has, so its def not iTunes... as for the devices maybe that's the culprit....