What's new

Starcraft II on SP3 i7

kozak79

Well, just played a bunch of SCII on my i7 SP3 and I am very pleased. I played it a lot on my SP2, but it felt sluggish at 1280x720 resolution. On the i7 SP3, at 1280x800 resolution, it felt great, no sluggishness at all. The fan did blow a lot, but not as loud as my SP2 used to blow. I was afraid of getting the thermo icon and it rebooting, but it was fine.

The only issue is that SCII doesn't like 150% scaling, so your mouse doesn't moved. Have to set scaling to 100% then it works fine, which is annoying since I then have to change the scaling back to 150% after I'm done playing.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hmm, so some games are fine and others not so much. Could this be a case of the way the game was programmed. like the Sudoku game which is horribly inefficient these other games with issues may also be inefficiently using resources. perhaps there's some commonality in which ones work and which ones don't that will surface like if all open gl games suck there may be issues with that library or its implementation. who's maintaining the matrix of gameability. :)

gdir

I just played a round of good old Civilization V. It supports touch interfaces and can be run at native resolution. The fan starts running, the back gets warm and as expected it uses a lot of battery. But it's well playable, even handheld.

gdir

A little issue with Civilization V:
After exiting Civ V (touch screen mode) the Ctrl key seems to be stuck. If I click something, I get a Ctrl+Click. If I type something, it performs a Ctrl+key. It doesn‘t matter, if the type cover is attached or not. Every application is affected. The only solution was a reboot.

This is most probably not a SP3 specific issue. I can remember having a similar problem some years ago with a Win 7 laptop. If you google for "ctrl key stuck after playing" will find several threads.

The funny thing is that Civ V is a game with a touch UI. No typing or use of keyboard in the game at all.

Kris

I have played a couple missions of StarCraft 2 on my I5/8gb and it worked perfectly fine... need to make sure to have it plugged in while doing so because it killed my battery faster than I thought possible.

Jisongkun

maybe you can right click the sc2 shortcut, go to property compatibility tab, and disable the high dpi for this application to avoid changing the dpi in the system when you gaming sc2 every time.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
A little issue with Civilization V:
After exiting Civ V (touch screen mode) the Ctrl key seems to be stuck. If I click something, I get a Ctrl+Click. If I type something, it performs a Ctrl+key. It doesn‘t matter, if the type cover is attached or not. Every application is affected. The only solution was a reboot.

This is most probably not a SP3 specific issue. I can remember having a similar problem some years ago with a Win 7 laptop. If you google for "ctrl key stuck after playing" will find several threads.

The funny thing is that Civ V is a game with a touch UI. No typing or use of keyboard in the game at all.
I have experienced this kind of issue but outside of gaming, and with the Windows key as well. I can't remember but I think I just attached the keyboard, bashed the keys a bit, then detached