What's new

Solved Start Menu Has disappeared

BruceDG

When I turned on my Surface Pro 3 the machine booted but the start menu is missing. Nothing happens when I highlight and click the Windows icon. If I right click I get a Windows 8 menu that begins with "Programs and Features". I also cannot window applications. They all come up in full screen mode and clicking on the window icon in the right corner does nothing. Finally the menu that is supposed to display when you swipe the right side of the screen doesn't.
I have done a full reboot by pressing the volume up key and power key simultaneously and it booted normally. How do I fix this?

Orlbuckeye

Are you in tablet mode? It sounds like it. Look under System in setting and then tablet mode (switch to off).

OP
B

BruceDG

Are you in tablet mode? It sounds like it. Look under System in setting and then tablet mode (switch to off).
There were other things wrong as well. I had lost access to some of the apps on the machine.
I contacted Microsoft online support for surface. They ran a scan and determined that my profile had been corrupted. They then downloaded a set of PowerShell scripts that rebuilt the profile (I guess) after that everything more or less came back, but in tablet mode. After fixing that, everything was ok.