STILL no facebook and twitter official apps

Discussion in 'Microsoft Surface General Discussion' started by badham21, Jan 13, 2013.

1. badham21

badham21 New Member

Why is this? I have Facebook touch. But an official Facebook app would be far better. And as for twitter, I can't find a working app for the RT anywhere
  2. ontulmora

ontulmora New Member

I think this is because the tablet uses Internet explorer and you can get the actual facebook webpage instead of an APP that would probably be missing some features. If you pin Facebook to the start screen it works the same way. You could also check out Feed for Facebook, its a nice little App that uses a different type of interface than most people are used to seeing, but it works great.
  3. Mr.Dan

Mr.Dan New Member

try Facebook + lite ... fastest client imo.. for reading only; i kinda like Facebook lite (without +) .. thats a different app... little bit clunky, but with more options

for Twitter i use gleek, if you are willing to pay, try out Tweetro+
  4. Ninjarider1978

Ninjarider1978 Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    I think people get way too caught up with needing an APP for something web based. Sure if you have a phone and want to use Facebook, an APP would be great as it would be optimized for a small display. But the Surface has one of the largest displays on the market and one of the best web browsers, so why would we want to be limited to an APP when we can have the fully functional browser version? Especially when, like ontulmora stated, you can just pin it to the start page. I for one am much more excited when an APP comes out that there is no web page for it. All that being said, Facebook touch is a pretty good experience, but I used my pinned version alot more.
    1 person likes this.
  5. bosamar

bosamar New Member

My Device:
    RT
    I've tried about four FB apps and IMO the web-based solution is best.
  6. FFX

FFX Active Member

My Device:
    S2
    What's wrong with the People App? It's syncs facebook, twitter, skype more and more..
  7. TeknoBlast

TeknoBlast Active Member

Yeah, the People hub is a great app for both TW and FB. That's all I use.
  8. Sin

Sin New Member

My Device:
    RT
    I use IE for Facebook as I haven't found a decent app yet. I use Tweetro+ for Twitter, which works very well. As for official clients, need to ask Facebook and Twitter on that.
  9. ArnoldC

ArnoldC New Member

It doesn't support Events, you can't post to a Group or manage a Group, can't post to a Page or manage a Page, are the most critical. Having said that, NONE of the Facebook-client wannabee can also do that. So, I don't bother.
  10. pwaggs

pwaggs New Member

Tweetro+

Love it. I did have to pay after twitter changed their token policy. Well worth the money.
  11. R0bR

R0bR New Member

There's a new Twitter App from the developer of Gleek that is getting great reviews called Fantweestic! The same issue exists on Windows Phone, although there is a Twitter App there are much better alternatives. Facebook never released an App for Windows Phone, the one available was made by Microsoft.
  12. FFX

FFX Active Member

My Device:
    S2
    I still find it usefull, you see all your notifications one you "tile". And you get a summary of the messagas. And if you "click" on a notification it prompts you to the real facebook site, and to the notification. (And if you've auto login it's a fast switch)
  13. ArnoldC

ArnoldC New Member

I agree with you, in fact it's the only app I use. I'm just replying to the question about what it can't do.
  14. brocharlieb

brocharlieb Member

I don't tweet, but as far as facebook goes I just use the website, no problem at all. An app would just waste memory.
  15. mesii23

mesii23 New Member

Considering that I can't send a Tweet from IE without the browser crashing, I hardly call it the best experience and definitely not the best browser, slowest maybe.

I can live without a Facebook but we really need an official Twitter app.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
  16. Sin

Sin New Member

My Device:
    RT
    I have not crashed IE10 yet and don't see it as slow, so not sure what's wrong there. As for an official twitter client, I don't expect much from Twitter, since their official client on Windows Phone is just terrible. Twitter has not really shown themselves to be all that good at app development and not the biggest fans of Microsoft. Maybe they will prove me wrong and I hope they do, but what's wrong with a third party twitter client. There are some rather nice ones available.
  17. mesii23

mesii23 New Member

Every time I attempt to Tweet it just freezes and does nothing. Videos randomly stop playing, pages don't loaf correctly, some things only load right in the desktop version, others only on the metro side. It is simply a pain in the backside.

Nothing wrong with 3rd party clients, but all that I have tried so far suck. Twitters official apps for iphone and android work great, I know because I use them both daily. That's why I would like to see an official app

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
  18. Sin

Sin New Member

My Device:
    RT
    No issue posting a tweet from twitter.com from Metro IE10. Twitter's Windows Phone client doesn't compare well against the third party competition. Been that way with no effort on Twitter's part, so I have very little hope that Windows RT will change that. Until Window RT is a big enough chunk of the market share, it won't get much from either Twitter or Facebook. Microsoft could develop an app on their own again for Facebook, but it's not possible for Twitter due to their API limits.
  19. MarcelP

MarcelP New Member

There is an official Twitter app coming soon, Ballmer said that at CES. I don't think Facebook is coming out with one yet
  20. Griff

Griff New Member

I'm trying to use the people hub for Facebook and Twitter, but it doesn't show me posts/tweets that are older than four or five hours. Am I missing some kind of setting? Is that just the norm?