What's new

Stop antimalware service running on battery?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
There have been issues with services using high CPU from time to time. These have generally been anomalies which can be resolved. Turning off antimalware is not recommended. some have switched antimalware software to resolve such issues and that's fairly straightforward.

Liam2349

I think the main issue here is the company behind your malware service. I use AVG Internet Security 2015 and have no issues.

OP
S

Sven

Thanks - I'm using the default windows antimalware service that comes preinstalled, I noticed this morning after waking up that the Surface Pro 3 ran a scan after coming on again, (on battery), and used high CPU for a while, which obviously negatively impacts battery life, it seemed strange it ran a scan then, and I can't seem to find any windows scheduled trigger for that event .... will keep looking !

Liam2349

Thanks - I'm using the default windows antimalware service that comes preinstalled, I noticed this morning after waking up that the Surface Pro 3 ran a scan after coming on again, (on battery), and used high CPU for a while, which obviously negatively impacts battery life, it seemed strange it ran a scan then, and I can't seem to find any windows scheduled trigger for that event .... will keep looking !

Might as well turn that off. Windows antivirus/malware can't detect its own ass.

You will be far better off with even AVG free. If you like, you can pair that with Malwarebytes.

dniezby

Might as well turn that off. Windows antivirus/malware can't detect its own ass.

You will be far better off with even AVG free. If you like, you can pair that with Malwarebytes.

Really? I've been using it for years. Never had a problem with a virus.
I periodically do some online scans with the same result - no malware or viruses found.

Windows built-in VS is fine for MOST users.

I agree though, you should NOT try to shut it off even on battery. The effect it has is minimal. I haven't had mine plugged in for nearly two days. I plug it in over night, wake up and unplug.

Promote good battery health to extend battery life.

Liam2349

Really? I've been using it for years. Never had a problem with a virus.
I periodically do some online scans with the same result - no malware or viruses found.

Windows built-in VS is fine for MOST users.

I agree though, you should NOT try to shut it off even on battery. The effect it has is minimal. I haven't had mine plugged in for nearly two days. I plug it in over night, wake up and unplug.

Promote good battery health to extend battery life.

Windows Defender detects about 5% of what Kaspersky, BitDefender and Malwarebytes will detect. So basically, it's not worth having. I'd say you've not had virus issues because Defender isn't very good and wouldn't know if someone was stealing all your data.

AVG Internet Security 2014 places a tiny bit behind the three I mentioned, not sure about 2015. The free AVG will detect almost all of what the paid version will, and that's a hell of a lot more than Windows Defender.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Windows Defender detects about 5% of what Kaspersky, BitDefender and Malwarebytes will detect. So basically, it's not worth having. I'd say you've not had virus issues because Defender isn't very good and wouldn't know if someone was stealing all your data.

AVG Internet Security 2014 places a tiny bit behind the three I mentioned, not sure about 2015. The free AVG will detect almost all of what the paid version will, and that's a hell of a lot more than Windows Defender.
Factually incorrect. You wont find a credible source for that, not even in staged AV Benchmarks.

malberttoo

I don't have a lot of confidence in Windows Defender either. I disable it on all my machines and run something else.

Deryl McCarty

The question is not that you cannot turn off your antimalware system...you can, regardless of its brand. The question is whether or not its a good idea. Usually, it isn't. But there are times. For example, I turn off my Vipre when I am DOD 5220.22-M erasing files. Because for some reason, Vipre takes offense at any program mucking about with protected files, even if I have given permission to erase. So it inspects every file being erased and hence it takes for-frigging-ever to erase a weeks' worth. Otherwise I would never turn off Vipre protection.