What's new

Storage on 128GB version?

vadimo

Hi

I am receiving today my new i5 4GB version and was wondering apart from removing unwanted apps is there any benefit of reinstalling windows to try increase free space?

I belive latest windows 10 update does take up few Gs of storage.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Welcome vadimo

To be honest, there isn't really much of anything that you can uninstall. Ut's not like computers you buy from OEM's, the surface devices don't come with any additional software installed, e.g bloatware. As such, re-installing windows will not really accomplish anything. Easiest thing to do is simply buy a microsd card for a couple of quid.

One thing to keep in mind is that when windows performs a build update, you'll end up with a system.old folder which can be as big as 20gb. If you're happy with the update and do not wish to roll back, then run disk cleanup to remove this.

OP
V

vadimo

Welcome vadimo

To be honest, there isn't really much of anything that you can uninstall. Ut's not like computers you buy from OEM's, the surface devices don't come with any additional software installed, e.g bloatware. As such, re-installing windows will not really accomplish anything. Easiest thing to do is simply buy a microsd card for a couple of quid.

One thing to keep in mind is that when windows performs a build update, you'll end up with a system.old folder which can be as big as 20gb. If you're happy with the update and do not wish to roll back, then run disk cleanup to remove this.
Very helpful.

Unboxing in an hour

Can't wait.

Thank you

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just remember that battery life and performance might not be what you hoped for for the first day or so. Windows will be doing a lot in the background during this time. Make sure to install all updates (it could be a few, it could be many, I'm unsure what version of windows 10 is installed on current new machines). If it does do extensive updating, make sure to check C:\ for any windows.old folders, they can take up a lot of space.