What's new

storage problem

DebbieJ

Hi all,

I can't work out why I have no space left on my hard drive. I have a Surface RT 32GB. It shows only 210MB free of 25.1GB. I don't even have enough space to get the most recent updates. But looking in drive properties I see Program Files 1.32GB, Users 172MB, Windows 14.9GB.

I have removed all of my personal files from the Surface, run disk clean up, and deleted some apps.

Recently a large number of apps disappeared off the device, don't know if this is somehow related to the storage problem - including preinstalled apps like Reader, Music, Skype. Still trying to fix that too. I was going to do a system refresh but I need another 7.26GB for that and can't find anyway to get it.

Any ideas for how I can handle this would be great, thanks! I was wondering whether I should just try to start from scratch again and reinstall Windows, but that's a bit of a pain and I'm not sure how helpful it would be anyway.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
When you ran Disk Cleanup did you use the Clean Up System Files Button at the bottom?

You really have to wonder how these low cost tablets with 16GB of storage are going to function.

OP
D

DebbieJ

Yes, I use the Clean Up System Files button too.

I'll definitely be buying a tablet with larger storage next time!

kundas1

You can also place the restore partition on a USB and delete it from your Surface HD and that will get you back 8GB, that's what I did on my S2

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Is the Recovery Partition still on the drive? In this case if its still there it would make sense to create a Recovery USB and remove the Recovery Partition. Its 3.19 GB on my Surface 2

Search - Recovery - Create a Recovery Drive. Once its complete you can remove the Recovery Partition.

But if your going to Reset it might be easier to do that first then create the Recovery Drive.

Edit: and did you select all the options in Disk Cleanup??? My windows dir is 14,576,484.
I wouldn't necessarily expect them to be exactly the same though. You have more programs installed than I do.

Last edited: