What's new

Strange behavior after the last 2 updates

Matthew Reimer

So I have had my surface for about 5 weeks. I do the firmware updates religiously. These last two have been I THINK causing strange behaviors.

Here they are.

After typing in pin to login it takes a good 45 seconds to finally go to tiles.

Touching something with the touch screen does not always guarantee a (Click)

While letting it idol sometimes I see the circle appear where a touch would show but nothing is touching the screen.

Scanned for viruses nothing, and would rather not do a factory reset. Anyone else having these issues?

kundas1

ok can't he restore to before he did the updates and then it should fix the problem... no?

kundas1

sorry but every update I've done says creating restore point, so common sense is that he should be able to restore prior to the updates...

lhauser

I've had similar behavior regarding the screen touches not registering a button click. Not consistently, though enough that I've noticed it. And in desktop mode, icons on the taskbar sometimes don't show up until I click the taskbar.

Neither behavior is more than an occasional annoyance, if that.

atsouch

I have the SP3 for a month. Everything was fine for me (including wifi access and sleep, suspend etc.) until the last firmware update. Now even if I close the lid for a second (or the device sleeps by itself), I need to long-press the power button and wait for 35-40 seconds to return to the previous state. AND, although the wifi connection seems to be "Connected", I always have to switch off and then on the wifi to reconnect properly. This happens with all my hotspots (old and new, linksys, tp-link, 2.5 and 5 GHz etc.) in different networks so it's not a compatibility problem.
There is clearly something broken with the new firmware. Both problems are related to the areas that were "touched" in this update. Shall we expect a new one soon?

ptrkhh

After typing in pin to login it takes a good 45 seconds to finally go to tiles.

Touching something with the touch screen does not always guarantee a (Click)

While letting it idol sometimes I see the circle appear where a touch would show but nothing is touching the screen.

Scanned for viruses nothing, and would rather not do a factory reset. Anyone else having these issues?
I think theres some issue on Windows, not just the firmware/drivers, since 45 seconds for login is clearly abnormal. Have you considered refresh? It keeps all your data and metro apps, so youd save quite a lot of time compared to a factory reset.

I have the SP3 for a month. Everything was fine for me (including wifi access and sleep, suspend etc.) until the last firmware update. Now even if I close the lid for a second (or the device sleeps by itself), I need to long-press the power button and wait for 35-40 seconds to return to the previous state. AND, although the wifi connection seems to be "Connected", I always have to switch off and then on the wifi to reconnect properly. This happens with all my hotspots (old and new, linksys, tp-link, 2.5 and 5 GHz etc.) in different networks so it's not a compatibility problem.
There is clearly something broken with the new firmware. Both problems are related to the areas that were "touched" in this update. Shall we expect a new one soon?
Try uninstalling the network adapter (Marvell AVASTAR) in Device Manager, then restart, and Windows should automatically scan for the hardware. If it didnt, try scanning for hardware in Device Manager (try to locate the button's position now, as with no WLAN cant search the internet). Hopefully it would reset any errors in the config of the adapter.
Do not check Remove device driver on the first try, it might be unnecessary. If it failed though, you can remove the driver and let Windows download it again.

OP
M

Matthew Reimer

Well did a refresh, still same problems with the touch although the login the first time has went away. Should I call microsoft or visit one of their stores? Or wait for another update?

Seemks to be the entire upper 1/4 of the screen in landscape that isn't tough.