What's new

Strange Keyboard / Stuck Keys problem

avengre

Hello all, I've a surface Pro 4 (i5 8gb) as well as a touch keyboard. It generally works well. I do a lot of closing the keyboard and opening without the computer shutting down (Annoyingly the screen turns off, which seems to cause delay with recovery of touchpad function), but I have noted an occasional problem I can't replicate regularily. For whatever reason, the Caps lock will get stuck on (without pushing shift or caps lock). I can type lower case by turning off the caps lock (switches from capital to lower case), however the numbers keep acting as if the shift key is depressed (Ie. !@#$%^&*() instead of numbers, but the letters will respond as normal. Additionally, any clicks with the touchpad act as if the shift key is displaced, Selecting lines of text, or multiple files. I've tried everything I can think of, removing stickey keys, turning off caps lock in the virtual keyboard (that i'm not even using), unplugging the keyboard from the monitor. Even taps with the pen act like the shift key is depressed, even with no keyboard attached. Only way to fix is reboot the computer. Anyone seen this before? or have any clue what i'm talking about? Google seems somewhat devoid of problems like this.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Hello all, I've a surface Pro 4 (i5 8gb) as well as a touch keyboard. It generally works well. I do a lot of closing the keyboard and opening without the computer shutting down (Annoyingly the screen turns off, which seems to cause delay with recovery of touchpad function), but I have noted an occasional problem I can't replicate regularily. For whatever reason, the Caps lock will get stuck on (without pushing shift or caps lock). I can type lower case by turning off the caps lock (switches from capital to lower case), however the numbers keep acting as if the shift key is depressed (Ie. !@#$%^&*() instead of numbers, but the letters will respond as normal. Additionally, any clicks with the touchpad act as if the shift key is displaced, Selecting lines of text, or multiple files. I've tried everything I can think of, removing stickey keys, turning off caps lock in the virtual keyboard (that i'm not even using), unplugging the keyboard from the monitor. Even taps with the pen act like the shift key is depressed, even with no keyboard attached. Only way to fix is reboot the computer. Anyone seen this before? or have any clue what i'm talking about? Google seems somewhat devoid of problems like this.
Touch Keyboard as in the Gen1 or Gen2 keyboards without physical keys? You can remove the cover from device manager and reboot and reattach and allow the device to reinstall the drivers...

Also make sure you are up to date on all Firmware Updates.