What's new

Strange thing I've noticed with earphones plugged in...

CrippsCorner

Buzz.

That's what I get. A low, deep buzzing sound, which can only really be heard with the volume less than about 10%
nerd.png
(when playing music at the same time)

But here's the strangest thing, if I touch the Surface (anywhere) the buzzing stops completely. This is happening with it plugged in charging, or without the power connector attached at all. Kinda annoying tbh!

Anyone had this?

Lolvo

Finally;

I'm happy to know that I'm not actually going insane, and that it was my Surface.
I was originally concerned that it was my Bose in-ears, and noticed that the noise also stopped when I touched the buds of the headphones.

Haven't figured it out yet; but either it's stopped, or I have simply not noticed it for a while.

beman39

huh! mine doesn't do that! what you guys might be experiencing is a short in the wiring so when you touch the Surface it negates the short...take it back if its under warranty

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The Capacitive Screen as well as the Wacom Feel Digitizer both use EMR, so you may be picking up that feedback from the screen. When you touch the screen you are closing the circuit.

OP
CrippsCorner

CrippsCorner

Finally;

I'm happy to know that I'm not actually going insane, and that it was my Surface.
I was originally concerned that it was my Bose in-ears, and noticed that the noise also stopped when I touched the buds of the headphones.

Haven't figured it out yet; but either it's stopped, or I have simply not noticed it for a while.

Likewise! Glad (I guess) to know it's not just mine... anyway I've got other earphones at home somewhere so I'll plug them in and have a listen.

It's strange though. Since transferring my desktop to another room and using my Surface as my main computer, what with it being so quiet, I can actually hear the monitor buzzing as well! To be honest it's a terrible screen so I'm hoping I get a reason for a new one soon... come on Miracast built in to monitors!

pallentx

I've noticed some odd audio issues after they put out the update to make the speakers louder. At low levels things were noisy and sound would cut out completely below a certain threshold. It sounds like when the boosted the audio they didn't drop the threshold for the noise gate to cut off sound below audible threshold. Before I updated to 8.1, I could manually roll back the driver to the old one, but now I don't have that option.

OP
CrippsCorner

CrippsCorner

Okay so tried my other headphones I have at home... do not get this issue! So, there's something going on with the actual earphones that produced this noise (which I don't get when they're plugged into anything else) very strange.