What's new

stuck at uefi after firmware update.

S-tension

hi everyone,

I got my replacement surface pro 2 a couple days ago and ran the Windows update. then it could no longer get past the uefi screen. (See the photos please)
I contacted Microsoft and they told me that I was among that 5% of the owners that have this issue after the March update and they sent me a recovery flash drive which won't arrive until next week. any solutions you can think of?

What I mostly see:
http://goo.gl/HhMCAv
What I often see:
http://goo.gl/dsLbTu

Thanks

GoodBytes

Sounds like you gave a faulty hardware in your system.
Contact Microsoft to return your device and order a new one. If you are outside the return period, head over a Microsoft store for replacement. If you don't have a Microsoft store, then you'll have to call it for return, where you'll receive a refurbished unit.

kundas1

instead of waiting for a recovery flash drive from MS, can't he just download one and use that? there was one posted on here if I'm not mistaken...

machistmo

I can testify to having experienced every Surface RT, SP1 and SP2 issue under the sun. I finally returned the SP1 and they were great about it. I returned the Surface Pro 2 for a replacement which shipped with the EXACT same problem and the exact same Surface Cover Telemetry driver missing from the recovery partition. Not long after I received my replacement I was back in exactly the same position I was before the swap out. Go figure. But I was able to inject the driver into the recovery partition and place it back on the surface again. I mean who needed that Saturday morning for Shopping or surfing or cleaning the garage? Right?

I do have to say that of all the companies I have dealt with, Microsoft has people that for the most part seem genuinely interested in solving your issues and they seem to be trying to do the right thing. The whole Surface thing always felt like a rushed product and that I was in some sort of beta test. That aside, for the money this thing really should have been tested more thoroughly and I continue to be surprised how rough around the edges some core things like the firmware and power management seem to be right now.

I have a set of files I could post if you really get in a fix on that thing but think you should wait for the official repair drive from Microsoft to arrive. Once you have it - restore asap and then make one of your own and a copy of the one they sent you. I wonder if it will be missing the Surface Cover Telemetry driver as they did not seem to have addressed that a month ago on this replacement they sent me. Good luck man and I rest assured, they will make it right one way or another. It may take a week or so but if they have done nothing else, they have shown me consistently good after sale support.

Last edited:

GoodBytes

I had this problem. But I no longer have it. If I refresh my system, I have the missing driver, but doing a Windows Update, magic its now installed.
All I did change was the keyboard. I had issues with the tracking of the track pad, for some reason it felt like there was bumps on the trackpad. So, I went to the store (BetsBut - 'cause Microsoft online store was sold out), and exchanged it with a new one.

chieftan

I am currently facing the same issue.

I was able to 'reset' my surface with a restore USB and that successfully cleared everything and installed Windows again (no bios screen interruptions phew).
But even thought I did that I would still get redirected on a restart of my surface to the UEFI screen (maybe after 10 attempts of exiting I would get into the windows login screen).

I've tried just restarting straight after a reset, same conclusion.
Also tried installing all windows updates after a reset, same conclusion.
I then tried installing all updates and firmware after a clean reset, same conclusion (where I am at now).

* All updates and etc were successful, history and logs don't show any errors.

I think I'm going to try and return mine though, I hate that when I restart my surface, I'm waiting based on chance to get it to boot into windows.

Ohh also, I don't have the flashing red indicators at the back were the SD Card is.

The telemetry driver doesn't serve any purpose that I know of, it's just cosmetics/NSA.

I suspect that "UEFI setup is shown at boot" is caused by bad uefi boot list variables which are not cleared during Windows setup. If any of you have this problem in the future and a lot of patience may want to diagnose it using a UEFI-compatible Linux boot disk and playing with "efibootmgr".

polychromenz

on 2nd SPRO2 in 2 days

I can testify to having experienced every Surface RT, SP1 and SP2 issue under the sun. I finally returned the SP1 and they were great about it. I returned the Surface Pro 2 for a replacement which shipped with the EXACT same problem and the exact same Surface Cover Telemetry driver missing from the recovery partition. Not long after I received my replacement I was back in exactly the same position I was before the swap out. Go figure. But I was able to inject the driver into the recovery partition and place it back on the surface again. I mean who needed that Saturday morning for Shopping or surfing or cleaning the garage? Right?

I do have to say that of all the companies I have dealt with, Microsoft has people that for the most part seem genuinely interested in solving your issues and they seem to be trying to do the right thing. The whole Surface thing always felt like a rushed product and that I was in some sort of beta test. That aside, for the money this thing really should have been tested more thoroughly and I continue to be surprised how rough around the edges some core things like the firmware and power management seem to be right now.

I have a set of files I could post if you really get in a fix on that thing but think you should wait for the official repair drive from Microsoft to arrive. Once you have it - restore asap and then make one of your own and a copy of the one they sent you. I wonder if it will be missing the Surface Cover Telemetry driver as they did not seem to have addressed that a month ago on this replacement they sent me. Good luck man and I rest assured, they will make it right one way or another. It may take a week or so but if they have done nothing else, they have shown me consistently good after sale support.

If you can that would be awesome I have a feeling I can send back the local NZ stock and still be getting these from a batch of affected stock. Local distributor is just a box shifter and wont actually fix it so may be easier to do it myself. Im certain its not really a hardware issue.