What's new

Solved Stuck on Generic VGA Driver

SomeoneOnLine

So I got my brand new Surface 3 (atom) 128GB that came with Win10 b.10240 and let it do all its updates includeing updating it to win10 b.1511 and loaded on all my apps and got it working just the way I wanted it working.....for the most part. Thats when I noticed that the screen was crazy bright and wouldn't let me change the brightness level no matter what I did. Started googleing and came across a article that said to load the generic vga drivers then change brightness levels then switch back to Intel HD Graphics. Well that is the problem. When ever I try to switch the driver it throws an error "This operation requires and interactive window station." Which may be related to the fact that I at one point may have accidentally installed the wrong Intel HD Drivers for the Pro 3 even though I have the Atom version (non-pro). So Im thinking that when I try to load the Intel HD drivers its trying to load the wrong one. Im trying to avoid doing a reset if I dont have to since it took most all day to get the damn thing loaded up with all my apps etc..
My thinking is if I can download just the correct intel hd drivers from wherever for the surface 3 that might help.

Well I found "Surface3_WiFi_Win10_151109_1.zip" and extracted the Graphics drivers and those give the same error. WTF.

Any help is appreciated. :)

~SOL

Last edited:
OP
S

SomeoneOnLine

OK. So I decided to just to a complete "reset/refresh" of windows 10. after getting all the drivers loaded etc.. from microsofts website I still dont have the option to adjust the screen brightness even after turning off auto brightness setting. I thought its odd that after I turn the auto brightness settings to off the option to apply the setting is grayed out. The video driver its using is the one that the microsoft driver/firmware package installed "Intel HD Graphics". What is going on with this thing. Is there some bug/trick I need to tweak or do? With brightness set at MAX (which I think its at. Its draining the battery like crazy).

Thanks,

~SOL

OP
S

SomeoneOnLine

Well. I contact MS support and they remoted in and found that it was the PNP Monitor Driver that was causing the issue. Once it was reloaded the brightness level now works. SWEET.