What's new

Stupid question I'm sure...but

nayasamson

I have a 64 GB Surface Pro, which I love to death. I see that eBay now has the Surface RT 64 GB on sale for $199. which sounds like a steal! I want to take advantage of the awesome price but I am wondering if I need a Surface Pro AND a Surface RT 64. The only logical thing I could think of to use the RT for would be media consumption only and the fact that it is lighter and thinner for doing so. Oh, and the better battery life as well. Would I just be wasting my money, which could be better spent on the Surface Battery Cover (when and if it ever comes out)? I am struggling here and would live some thoughts, feedback and ideas!!! Thanks all!! The sale is today only so please let me know what you think!!!

tarrant64

Whether it's a waste of money is really up to you.

We don't know how well the surface battery cover is going to work out. It's late getting out (IMO), and will frankly make your surface pro heavier. So for $199 - you really have to find out if you buy the Surface RT - you won't need the battery cover anymore. If you still need the battery cover even after buying the RT, then it's just a matter of whether or not you want the RT just to have it.

I don't know if that helps at all, but I would just buy the RT and use it as the "tablet". You're right, for $199 it is a good deal for media consumption. Also know that the RT however was never a great performer, and the Surface 2 (RT) was created to resolve those issues.

OP
N

nayasamson

I appreciate your feedback. I would buy the Surface 2 if it wasn't $449. It just seems like a steal for the 64GB RT at $199. Add $39 for a new type cover. I could buy it just to flip in on Craigslist for $275-$300 easily. I just cant make up my mind and its driving me nuts!!

tarrant64

Seems like you just have a couple hundred bucks to burn. :).

Another recommendation - you could take advantage of this "steal" and purchase the new microSDXC 128GB Sandisk card on Amazon, which is currently only $119, and you get more space for your Surface Pro. You could then buy an upgraded cover for your Surface Pro for $129, get the backlit cover and latest keyboard. So for about $250 you could make your Pro better, or you could spent just $240 and not be sure why you even spent the money.

OP
N

nayasamson

that makes a lot of sense. Are we sure that the 128 GB SD will work in the Pro? I asked Microsoft this a couple of days ago and they said "you can insert the 128 card, but the surface pro will only see 64 GB" Any truth to that, that you are aware of? Thx!

Hstakz

Yes that is true, all surface devices only see upto 64GB in micro SD. However, in not sure with a SD-USB adapter?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The Surface RT running RT 8.1 performs very well compared to when it was first released, at $200 get and try it out. Just understand what RT is designed to do...understand that there is no JAVA or Silverlight support and you can't load any x86 software on it. You will be using Office, Modern UI Apps and IE...

I loved my RT and I love my Surface 2...

OP
N

nayasamson

So then why bother buying a 128 card if I already have a 64 SD? That was really stupid for Microsoft to limit that, even on the newer Surface 2 and Pro tablets

OP
N

nayasamson

I had a Surface RT before I had the Surface Pro. Saw its limitations and traded it for an iPad. The iPad is long gone and now my main device is the Surface Pro. Just wondering about buying the RT 64 at its low price knowing that I am limited to online media and microsoft store apps only. I guess that's why I originally asked the question. Is it stupid to have a Pro AND and RT?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I use both a Pro 2 and Surface 2...

Pro 2 = Replaces desktop and laptop, uses include legacy web app access and inking in OneNote (used for business)
Surface 2 = Personal Companion (some mobile work) Use a third screen for Social Media during work day

Carrying both is lighter than 95% of the Ultrabooks on the market.

tarrant64

Yes that is true, all surface devices only see upto 64GB in micro SD. However, in not sure with a SD-USB adapter?

I don't know that this is fact yet, there's no reason that it shouldn't - really. A lot of devices state they support up to 64gb because there was nothing larger at the time. 128gb microsdxc was just introduced 2 days ago - we can hardly confirm for fact that it doesn't work yet on any Surface device because it doesn't look like anyone has done it.

This same conversation came out when 64gb microsd was first introduced. Everyone said oh my god it won't work my device only says it supports up to 32gb. Yet people purchased them, and they worked just fine in most cases.

I'm willing to eat that statement if I'm wrong, but at the very least I'm willing to try it out (I've purchased the 128gb microsdxc online...just have to wait for it now). Someone needs to be able to say definitively whether this works or not.

More on this here: http://www.surfaceforums.net/forum/...l-discussion/8235-finally-128gb-micro-sd.html

revmike

I had a 32gb sd device and when I put a 64gb card in, it saw all 64gb. So I don't believe that the surface would be any different.