What's new

Stylus not working after Windows update

Stevie

Since I use my stylus all the time (well, not all the time--now I'm using my finger. It is unbelievable how accurately my writing, by index finger, is interpreted, with almost 100% accuracy. Another reason I love my SP, although, MS really needs to get it together, and write their updates so they don't regularly disable the stylus on their flagship product.) ...I digress...As I was about to say...

With last night's update, my stylus does not work, beyond the sign-in page. l am able to use the stylus to enter my picture password, but once I get to the Start screen, or the desktop, the stylus is non-functional. How do I get it up and running again?

It's kind of cool to use my finger to write...but it's very slow. And I can't remember where I put my keyboard. :) Thanks in advance for you help!

Last edited:
Try a "full reset": hold down up button and power, wait for the Surface logo to flash, then boot normally. Might have to check that your time settings are correct afterward.

OP
S

Stevie

Thank you for your quick reply! Just did a full reset. Exactly the same symptoms. It's interesting that I can use the stylus to enter the password, and that the stylus "icon" (the little dot that hovers like a mouse icon -- not sure what to call it) shows when the start screen is loading, but it disappears, and the stylus becomes disfunctional, as soon as the start screen finishes loading. I forgot to mention, prior to my last post I uninstalled and reinstalled the Wacom driver.

Any other ideas?

Last edited:

drolem

the stylus "icon" (the little dot that hovers like a mouse icon -- not sure what to call it) shows when the start screen is loading, but it disappears, and the stylus becomes dysfunctional, as soon as the start screen finishes loading. I forgot to mention, prior to my last post I uninstalled and reinstalled the Wacom driver.
This means that driver for the stylus is messed up. First, take a look at Device Mangler, and see if you have a device banged out -- question mark, exclamation mark, whatever. Also, see if there's a corresponding error entry in the event log.

OP
S

Stevie

Sorry not to respond sooner. I did have to uninstall/reinstall the driver. Things have been working well since, knock on wood. Thanks for your help Drolem.