What's new

Sudden battery drain after recent updates

greatg

Well, today I was working away with 30% battery available. Then all of a sudden a warning message popped up saying I had 7% bat life left and before I could reach for the plug the system either went into hibernate or shutdown? It took two reboots to get the wifi working properly again.

I have never experienced such a drastic power reduction, prior to last weeks update (30% to 7%) in a few seconds!

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
There may be something to what you are saying... I think my battery life has dropped in the last week... I also did a refresh on Wednesday and I was going to blame that but the updates may be it. A few of them were pulled also so we may be feeling the affects of some ill behaved updates.

ZorMi

It happened to me twice, around 30% and 42%, before the last week update. I tried a few things (manual auto-update, removed batterybar, limit indexing... etc). Then it discharged normally... but still no idea what is the cause.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm contemplating restoring my image from last Tuesday prior to the updates. Battery life has definitely taken a hit in the last week down a significant amount. Sleep report says HD Graphics is the Top Offender. duh, graphics while sleeping... who knew? If I was in Denmark I could say something is rotten in Denmark. I was just joking when I said these GPUs will get hijacked by malware :) alas this is likely just bugware.

update1: Malwarebytes says no malware detected.
update2: I'm estimating battery life is about half of what I was getting before. This may be the same or similar issue others are seeing with short battery life. Jim, its a bug.

Last edited:

kristalsoldier

Curiouser and curiouser. I can't say that I am seeing any degradation in battery life. I will run the battery report later in the day and will re-check.

drzeller

Since the last update, I am loosing battery runtime, my WiFi has gone flakey, my keyboard cover is hard to get recognized, and swipes from the sides of the screen are hard to get registered. I has none of these problems before the update. I definitely want to revert back top pre-Tuesday update (which I applied on Friday).

David

As mentioned in some other threads I have also noticed that since the last firmware update in mid-August, the CPU is very busy in Connected Standby. The result is that I see the following information in stleepstudy report what causes me to lose about 11 percent of battery in an hour. It's the CPU.

Attachments

• upload_2014-8-22_15-58-2.png
    upload_2014-8-22_15-58-2.png
    62.7 KB · Views: 500

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm contemplating restoring my image from last Tuesday prior to the updates. Battery life has definitely taken a hit in the last week down a significant amount. Sleep report says HD Graphics is the Top Offender. duh, graphics while sleeping... who knew? If I was in Denmark I could say something is rotten in Denmark. I was just joking when I said these GPUs will get hijacked by malware :) alas this is likely just bugware.

update1: Malwarebytes says no malware detected.
update2: I'm estimating battery life is about half of what I was getting before. This may be the same or similar issue others are seeing with short battery life. Jim, its a bug.
My issue was due to HD Graphics according to the sleepstudy report.
After the 8/19 firmware update I did a refresh and everything has been cleared up. nothing currently whacky in the sleepstudy and battery life looking to be longer than ever.

I hope i can solve it with windows update cleaning and running windows update troubleshooter once. I really don't want to do a refresh because then i have to install all programs again .. but if it doesn't help i will do it too and i hope that further windows updates are better than in the last month ... I think all people here in the forum are technic fans and know how to help themselves. But thinking on all other people makes me really disappointed :/ Hope further windows updates are getting better.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I hope i can solve it with windows update cleaning and running windows update troubleshooter once. I really don't want to do a refresh because then i have to install all programs again .. but if it doesn't help i will do it too and i hope that further windows updates are better than in the last month ... I think all people here in the forum are technic fans and know how to help themselves. But thinking on all other people makes me really disappointed :/ Hope further windows updates are getting better.
I totally agree with you on Refreshing, it shouldn't be the only solution. The Easy Button approach is not all that and a bag of chips... somewhere on these threads I've elaborated on that position.