What's new

Solved Suddenly I cannot adjust brightness...

OppfinnarJocke

Just yesterday evening, I found that the brightness adjustment on my SP3 running W10x64 1607 no longer works. Swiping left from the right corner, I can adjust the settings between 0%, 25%, 50%, 75%, 100%, and the numbers change, but the screen remains blaring bright, and it hurts my eyes. Previously, when I could adjust the brightness, I never had it higher than 75%.

Somewhere I saw that this might be related to not updating the screen driver, so I went into device manager and tried to update the driver, but W10 told me that I already had the latest version. I remember some update some time ago related to the driver, so I looked into windows update, but there I get the message that "No updates have been installed yet" (this is typical, very seldom do I see any update history). So I asked W10 to check for new updates, but none were found, except an update for Defender which was installed (still I only see "no updates installed yet" on the update history page).

I have tested most of the suggestions I can find on the web, but to no avail. I have restarted the machine, but to no avail. Does anyone have any suggestions?

This is driving me crazy, there so many issues with W10 on my SP3, every day there's something I have to fiddle with, and it has always has been like this. This is by far the worst computer I have ever had!

Metalman

Maybe try uninstalling the driver in device manager (don't delete the driver). Then restart your computer and let it install the driver again and see if that helps.

OP
O

OppfinnarJocke

Thanks for the reply.
I don't know what happened, but after the third restart, the issue resolved itself. And that scares me...

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the reply.
I don't know what happened, but after the third restart, the issue resolved itself. And that scares me...

Video driver probably downloaded on first restart, installed and configured on second, became active on third.

In any case, glad you are fixed up, now.