What's new

Suggestions from the store please?

kristalsoldier

Hi all...

Someone today gifted me a MS Store card (which apparently works across Windows 8.1, Windows Phone and Xbox store). Since I don't have an XBox (and don't intend to get one), that does not matter to me. I also believe the card can be used across the stores.

My interest, however, is to buy some apps for my Surface 2 (and my Win Phone, but since its off topic, I'll ask elsewhere). Can you make any suggestions as to what good apps to invest in?

Currently, the thing that bugs me the most on the RT platform is a good - very good - music/ video app. So, that would be one area/ gap that I would look to fill. A single app would be idea, but if it means two apps, then I am open to the possibility.

No games please - since I am not into it. Any other apps that help in task-management, but which can run across my Surface 2, desktop machine and Win Phone, would be another area.

Any other use of the Surface 2 that you folks can think of that I have missed would be very helpful. The only thing is that I would prefer it would work across my devices.

Thanks in advance.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
DrawboardPDF is a good purchase, I've also bought Annotate 101 but really is only good if you're using SharePoint on Office365. I also paid for Tweetium (Premium Twitter Client), ArcSoft Showbiz (Modern UI Video Editor), I've also paid for two TWiT.tv clients (Netcasts), and Plex Client, Gobble (Netcast, Podcast), I also paid for Note Anytime but I haven't used it much....

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

Thanks. Don't use SharePoint so Annotate is not for me. I'll check out the Twitter Client. Video Editor...ummm....not quite...would like a good and robust video and audio player though (but video is more important). I have no idea what netcasts and podcasts are, but I will check them out. I am really a sad case, I think in this growing digital and networked world!

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Netcasts = Video Podcasts - Revision 3 (Founded by Jim Louderback who was the VP of TechTV, now owned by Discovery Networks), TWiT (founded and owned by Leo Laporte from the TechTV)

Podcasts = Audio Shows (Internet Radio Talk Shows)

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

Thanks! I wonder though - where do you guys find the time to tap into all these information sources? I have trouble keeping up with the ones that I do, which are basically reading-material oriented, and which are minimal in number!

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I watch the Netcasts in lieu of normal TV programming, I'm watching Windows Weekly on TWiT right now while I "work"....

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

I watch the Netcasts in lieu of normal TV programming, I'm watching Windows Weekly on TWiT right now while I "work"....

Multi-tasking!!!! Nice! I wonder if Netcasts work in the UK as well as they, I am guessing, in America. Also, this Windows Weekly, is the Thurrott and MJF gig, right? I have been meaning to see of those...maybe now I will. Thanks.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Yep...they are available on YouTube or off of TWiT.tv website, I usually watch the taped version as the Life Stream can be pretty raw with banter not related to the show....

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

Odd isn't it that if one leaves out games, there isn't much to buy on the Windows (RT) Store...I was making a list of apps that I have and use (sometime or the other) on my Surface - and, all of them...every single one, is a free app! And, the fact of the matter is while in some cases the apps could have been designed better etc., they are functionally just fine! In many ways, this is a good thing, but it is also a problem especially for MS if they want to start making money off their Store(s).

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
In many ways it much more profitable for developers to use In App Advertisements than charging for the App. Also some of the Productivity or Business Apps they are free for basic functionality and include in App Upgrades or potential custom LOB Apps for companies which would be big money, using the basic app as a resume so to speak.

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

In many ways it much more profitable for developers to use In App Advertisements than charging for the App. Also some of the Productivity or Business Apps they are free for basic functionality and include in App Upgrades or potential custom LOB Apps for companies which would be big money, using the basic app as a resume so to speak.

True. Though I wonder about the economics of in-app adverts and how it works. Any ideas as to where I can look this up? But that still leaves me with my MS Store voucher unused. Maybe I'll scour around for a good media app. Can you recommend one? Not Xbox Music and Video please!

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
AdDuplex and MS Advertising are the two main players in the Windows Store World, AdDuplex is pretty open how their system works, and I believe MS is as well.

I think you can also use the voucher for Xbox Music and Videos...

Sorry...I like Xbox Music and Video (runs away and hides from stones being thrown in his general direction)