What's new

Surface 2 and ad.thereafterby~

ntev

Upon using my Surface 2 today, internet explorer seems to be plagued by malware or something of there sort where it redirects every webpage to [link redacted by Forum Moderator] , which then will not let me browse the internet further and continuously prompts a download of an unknown file. This file cannot be run because it is not from the 'Windows Store', nor should it be because it simply contains malicious programs. My problem therein lies on how do I get rid of this.

I've found this help page today, http://windowsproblemshelpcenter.blogspot.it/2015/01/how-to-remove-adthereafterbycom-pop-up.html which goes through several steps of how to rid this problem. And I've tried what I can, resetting the browser settings, adding a proxy under LAN settings, and even going into the Registry on the Surface to try and comb it. There problem is that the RT does not have the same registries as this website describes so I don't really know what to do in there. And I also cannot download any registry cleaner or adware remover because none exist on the 'Windows Store'.

Frankly, this is really annoying being limited and unable to download/run programs because everything needs to come from the 'Store' but I've learned my lesson. Won't be getting something like this again, yet I still need this problems fixed. How do I go about fixing this?

Last edited by a moderator:

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
First please report this to Microsoft so they are aware of it.
http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/support/contact-us

Are you using the Desktop IE browser? Or IE from the Start Screen?

Reboot,
Then do not open the browser and go to Control Panel.
(Desktop, hold Start icon a few seconds and select Control Panel from the menu)
Change the View to large icons
Launch Internet Options
Select Advanced Tab
Reset Internet Explorer Settings
Close
Reboot again
See if its fixed...

OP
N

ntev

Not sure what MUI is, but if you're asking if it's the application from the list of apps not on the Desktop, then yes.

Both are affected by it.

I'm currently posting on my home computer, no problems. Router is a netgear.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
What add-ons do you have in IE
In Desktop IE tap the gear and select Manage Add-ons
This is what I have
addons.PNG

OP
N

ntev

Only add-on I have is the

Shockwave Flash Object, which is published by Microsoft, and is seen on your list as well.

Nothing else.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Check the Names, dates, and sizes of the files in c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc

Should look like this:
drivers.etc.PNG

Only add-on I have is the

Shockwave Flash Object, which is published by Microsoft, and is seen on your list as well.

Nothing else.

I forgot to mention... under Show: select All Add-ons