What's new

Surface 3 and Facebook.

Having recently created a Facebook account, I have found that the longer one has Facebook open, the worse the performance of the S3 gets. For example, I can be scrolling through FB when slowly, each page takes longer to open. Then a video wont play, or it stops the browser (Firefox) from responding. It then wants to close the script, which when closed it shuts down Facebook altogether (all there is is the FB heading and top line), or if I click no, FB will continue (or at least the browser) to be unresponsive.

I need to have access to FB due to my photo 'business' but if it does not want to play the game, do I go elsewhere or do I try something else that is not a Surface 3?

Anyone else having similar problems?

I realise this is in the Pro 3 forum, but the S3 forum seems to be dead at the moment.

Last edited:

Plantje

The S3 forum is far from dead! :)

I have the same thing. Do you use the Facebook app or just the website on Edge or Firefox? For some reason Facebook is a huge resources hug! Every time my girlfriend complains about the performance of her laptop the first thing I do is: close the Facebook tab on Edge. Then it is all good...
SP3, SP4 and SP users will have the same thing. Only difference is: since they have a lot of "oomph" left it is not hindering them as much :(

Do you have a 2GB or 4GB RAM S3? I have a 4GB and that is "ok"

OP
A

Argus Tuft

I use the Facebook website on Firefox. I guessed that FB was a resources hog as my laptop would often slow down (enough to prevent YouTube videos from opening) but not make the browser unresponsive. I have 'asked' the mods at FB by they seem to be too busy to deal with my problem.

Thx for your reply, and now that I know it is a FB problem, I'll just get in first!

Plantje

Good luck. I don't think the guys and girls at Facebook have "performance" as a top priority

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have the same on the sp4. facebook just sucks.

If your business is photography, surely something like instagram would be a more effective platform?

OP
A

Argus Tuft

I don't do photography as a business, more amateur than anything, but as I 'work' with a lot of dumb f**ks (you know what they say about footballers, especially regional footballers!) and they all know how to access FB, that is my outlet. I need somewhere that allows a lot of storage and Instagram just doesn't cut it. I save my photos to Flickr, but I used to use MEGA. Nobody could access it even after I ran through the instructions with them!

Plantje

I have the same on the sp4. facebook just sucks.

If your business is photography, surely something like instagram would be a more effective platform?
Thank you for adding that. I think every one has the same issue with Facebook. Some machines just experience it more.

Turbo4AWD

I do experience that issue using the website, but not on the Facebook App on my Surface 3. The app allows everything to still respond quickly for really long periods of time without hindering performance. I tried the website and found that it bogged down too much.

OP
A

Argus Tuft

Now that I have stopped taking photographs that needed to be put online, I have no need for FB. I have kept my account open in case I decide on taking photos of the local cricket, but FB doesn't interest me any more.

convergent

Now that I have stopped taking photographs that needed to be put online, I have no need for FB. I have kept my account open in case I decide on taking photos of the local cricket, but FB doesn't interest me any more.

Wow, that was quick! You gave up photography because FB sucked so bad! :eek:

If you decide to give it a go again, I would make a suggestion. I am in a very similar situation as you. I used to do sports photography as a business, so I have the equipment, experience, and will to get better action shots than the average fan. I don't want the hassle of the business anymore, and I also don't want my friends to be viewing me as trying to make a buck off them. That ends up making FB the best place to share the pictures. I use Lightroom to process the images, and a plugin for LR to publish them to FB. So I don't necessarily need to even go into FB to get the pictures there. That might help you, or someone else dealing with this problem.

OP
A

Argus Tuft

I didn't give up photography because of FB, but due to having to sit in the cold with an arthritic condition. It would take me the best part of two days to get where I was before the shoot, and as it takes a heat bag just to get my knees comfortable enough to sleep, I found it best to give up having to sit out in the weather. I still have my camera though.

FB wasn't the only outlet I had my photos. I also have a Flickr account, and I would then send the link to each folder to the respective clubs who would then make sure the players knew about them. What they did with the photos was up to them as they were no good to me. I didn't sell them but intended to let them be downloaded. I'll see how I go during cricket season before I make that ultimate decision (to give up on the photography for others) and just concentrate on family and friends.