What's new

Surface 3 Basic Info

TheAntibyte

So I created this thread as a place to compile all basic info for those who have never used a surface tablet before as there seems to be some confusion from the less tech savvy people, feel free to chip in and over time we can compile a dedicated thread of all compiled info, almost all of this info will work with the Surface Pro 3 unless its specific hardware info.

So the Surface 3 runs windows 8.1 which means that all software compatible with windows 8.1 will work out of the box, if it doesn't then the software creator has some funky code going on.

You can use any Micro USB cable with the surface but I personally would recommend you use a good quality cable to avoid any possible issues.

You can use most USB wall chargers even the ones you use in the car, just some will charge slower then the stock charger as they may be lower Wattage.

So for now this is all I can think of off the top of my head so as I mentioned earlier feel free to contribute info, but just try to make it neat and split it into sections so its easy to tell what's what.

Regards,
TheAntibyte

narse77

You can't really use just any charger. I forgot my S3 charger today and tried a iPad Air 2 charger, a ecig charger, a battery designed to charge tablet etch with 2.1 amp and a micro USB plugged into a charge port on a PC. All of them would charge for a couple of min and then go to plugged in but not charging. The battery drain was much less but over the course of 9 hours I went from 100% to 83% battery.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Using a charger that delivers less than 4 AMPs it will only charge the device while in Connected Standby not while and use... it will take a long time though...

OP
TheAntibyte

TheAntibyte

Okay I will revise the information but I found that my surface 3 charged on my Japanese iPad mini charger (should be identical to the US one)
And it chargers on my cars hardliner 2.1a and 1a USB plugs, but as mentioned that was just charging them not actually using them.
Also as mentioned I created this thread to compile info so everything mentioned in this article can be updated.

I can also charge using my small 5000MAH USB battery.

malberttoo

Okay I will revise the information but I found that my surface 3 charged on my Japanese iPad mini charger (should be identical to the US one)
And it chargers on my cars hardliner 2.1a and 1a USB plugs, but as mentioned that was just charging them not actually using them.
Also as mentioned I created this thread to compile info so everything mentioned in this article can be updated.

I can also charge using my small 5000MAH USB battery.

Good start on the thread.

Also, I'll leave this here for you... ;)

http://www.surfaceforums.net/threads/surface-3-charging.15115/

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Also worth investing in a USB OTG cable or similar for a couple of $ so that you can get 2 usb ports if needed (such as if you need to keep the usb 3.0 port for a usb harddrive etc but still need to plug in a wireless mouse.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
i tried a couple different chargers. It says plugged in but not charging. only the stock one seems to work.

As has been mentioned above, see what their power delivery is. If not up to scratch, then they will/may charge it while the device is off, but not when on.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Using a charger that delivers less than 4 AMPs it will only charge the device while in Connected Standby not while and use... it will take a long time though...
4 AMPs? The MS charger only claims 2.5A. Not sure what your meant there although IF we had a 4A charger and the S3 could use it and charge in half the time I would be much happier.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
4 AMPs? The MS charger only claims 2.5A. Not sure what your meant there although IF we had a 4A charger and the S3 could use it and charge in half the time I would be much happier.
My experience with external batteries is those rated below 4A struggle in keeping the device charged while using it....

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
My experience with external batteries is those rated below 4A struggle in keeping the device charged while using it....
That makes more sense, somehow the external battery connection escaped me. :)
Although I think batteries rated at 3A do an acceptable job, the more the better. :D

Can I use the Surface 3 just as a tablet? I am coming from a Sony Xperia Z2. I noticed that there is a "Tablet Mode", but some of the apps just take you back to the desktop environment. I have to hit the keyboard icon to pull up the on screen keyboard. I do not wish to use the Type Cover or the pen.

Thanks in advance for your response!