What's new

Surface 3 battery crazy

bullo75

Hi everyone I've got a problem with my Surface 3 battery. I charged it up to 100% after few second dropped to 98% and it gave me an estimation of 3 and half hours life battery, then at 95% it gave me an estimation of 11 hours also using word or photoshop. However as soon as i browse on internet the estimation drop at only 3 hours i am going crazy with this device. Furthermore I left the device on sleep mode with 72% of battery from 8.00 pm and at 7 am I found the battery 38% how is it possible. Someone can help me? I updated the device so it has the last windows 10 and the last firmware.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
First, the time remaining estimate should be completely ignored. It is not in any way useful, for the reasons you have stated. this is simply how it is.

As to battery drain, you'll need to perform a sleep study to work out what was going on. It's not a one of case though, many people experience this.

What operating system are you on?

OP
B

bullo75

Windows 10...ok the estimation is not trustble but the battery doesn't last 7-8 hours as Microsoft tell

leeshor

Nobody has manged, on average, to get anywhere near what Microsoft claimed for battery life but that's the cases with most portable devices. If you read enough threads on the forum you'll pick up some tips on how to extend the battery but you'll never use it the same way Microsoft did to get that figure. With that said you should be able to average well over 5 hours.

Thread moved to the proper forum.

OP
B

bullo75

Thank for your reply....another thing, i notice in task manager more than 50%of Cpu because of antimalware is it normal? Can i put it off?

Kriton

That should not be happening. You have some application or service running in the background and consuming resources, whether it is something you installed or malware. Some anti-malware are very resource consuming. I suggest you get rid of them and install sth light. Personally I trust in microsoft's firewall which is also quite light. Also chances are that that's what is killing your battery.

OP
B

bullo75

Ok as soon as i get home i 'll try but i didn't install any software, i thought antimalware had been already installed from microsoft, anyway it used more then 50% of my cpu and when i browse also 80%/90%...I hope that is the problem...I'll let you know thanks mate.

OP
B

bullo75

I Tried to stop antimalware which Is part of defender but Is not possible, i confirm that my cpu because of it when I browse on internet get 90%/100%...furthermore I found out that the last firmware updated failed, do you know How to install it again? By the way my Surface has a battery life of 4,5/5 Hours I Hope to Reach 8-9 hours

OP
B

bullo75

Hi everyone again, after several tests my situation Is : 100% full battery after 2-3 minutes go down to 98/97% then give me an estimation between 7,5/8,5 Hours (display 50%)...as soon as browse on internet the estimation drop to 4,5/5 Hours and for some website 3,5 Hours (I use internet explorer 11)....furthermore yesterday i noticed that at 50% of battery the estimation for internet was 3,5/3 Hours it means should be 6 at 100% but as I told at 100% was 4,5/5 hours...when I work on Word the estimation Is about 8/9,5 Hours at 100%....someone can give me some advice?

leeshor

Most people aren't putting any money on the battery indicator. What counts is the actual total battery time when it runs low/out. The meter is poor at estimating.