What's new

Surface 3 Charging

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
This looks like it could work and the description says it's only 0.4 inches thick. 3.5 x 2.5 x 0.4 inches. The OEM charger is 2.24 x 1.46 x 1.12.
So, it is longer and wider, but since it seems slimmer, it would better fit in a form fitting sleeve than the OEM charger.
http://www.amazon.com/iXCC-SMART-Capacity-Travel-Charger/dp/B00FCISKIY
The description is wrong, a USB port is .5 inches wide so it cant be only .4 in unless the ports are horizontal and that's not a picture of it. :)

A reviewer on Amazon listed specification as:
dimensions: 2.6 x 2.0 x 1.1in (66 x 51 x 28mm)
weight: 2.47 oz (70g)
USB Output Ports:
Port 1 - 5V/3.1A
Port 2 - 5V/1A

But it *should* work on port 1
Let us know your results if you try this one.
I don't expect it will charge any faster than the MS charger though because the Surface 3 doesn't appear to draw more than 2.3A (11.5w) peak.

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
More charging problems here. Seems to turn itself on when you plug in the charging cable, so it doesn't really charge much unless you turn if off again.
This is actually by design so that's something you just have to be aware of although if you connect the cable and leave it idle it will go back to standby on it's own in the minimum time.

netuser

This is actually by design so that's something you just have to be aware of although if you connect the cable and leave it idle it will go back to standby on it's own in the minimum time.

The power settings were set on mine to go to sleep after only 2 minutes by default.
It would keep turning off while I was watching a video or doing anything where I was not typing or touching it for 2 minutes or more.
I had to greatly increase the time it takes to go into standby because of this. However, I didn't notice the Surface turning on by itself if it is fully powered off when connecting the charging cable.
It doesn't recognize the computer is in use while watching videos unless you play the video full screen.

Dmcgrath009

One of the reasons I purchased the tablet is the micro USB charger and being able to charge it easily from a backup battery.

The included charger does 5.2v at 2.5 amps

You can use something like this Samsung charger that does 5.3v and 2.0amps

Should get a decent charge out of that.

I know my backup USB power supply has 2.1amp capable port that should do well while traveling.

Attachments

• 1431197031099-1368613280.jpg
    1431197031099-1368613280.jpg
    889.4 KB · Views: 718
  • 1431197069916-1023892974.jpg
    1431197069916-1023892974.jpg
    740.7 KB · Views: 727
OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
One of the reasons I purchased the tablet is the micro USB charger and being able to charge it easily from a backup battery.

The included charger does 5.2v at 2.5 amps

You can use something like this Samsung charger that does 5.3v and 2.0amps

Should get a decent charge out of that.

I know my backup USB power supply has 2.1amp capable port that should do well while traveling.
You will need to test them to make sure they will work.

I used a Samsung 2.0A charger from the original Galaxy Note 10 (results above) that wasn't up to the task, while the ASUS 2.0A charger looks good so far. Both of my brand new 2.1A Battery Packs failed, shutting down after a few minutes so they are going back. The Anker Battery Pack mentioned above seems to work ok but charges a little slower than I expected only giving 2.0A or less but If I put load on the system it will go up to 2.5A and drops back to 1-2 when the load decreases.

I also did a preliminary test with an Anker Dual Port 2.4A charger listed at 20w that worked so far. It says either port will do 2.4A (12w) but it will only do 20W total when both are used at the same time. So far I have only used one port.

I have more testing to do but Id feel pretty safe with a 12w 2.4A charger, lesser chargers and battery packs might work more slowly or not at all depending on their actual capabilities. Clearly they are not all equal.

Dmcgrath009

Thank you for the information.

What are you using to monitor amperage in the charge input clamp on amp meter?

The backup battery charger I used is from radio shack. Got it as a Christmas present last year its got 2 2.1amp ports and is a 10,000mah pack. On my drive home last night I went from 49 % to 58% in 15-20 min with the screen off not connected to WiFi

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thank you for the information.

What are you using to monitor amperage in the charge input clamp on amp meter?

The backup battery charger I used is from radio shack. Got it as a Christmas present last year its got 2 2.1amp ports and is a 10,000mah pack. On my drive home last night I went from 49 % to 58% in 15-20 min with the screen off not connected to WiFi
Inline USB Power Meter. Measures V and A plus Peak V and Peak A.

Dmcgrath009

very cool may have to pick one up.

one thing about the micro usb port i would suggest everyone be very careful with the port because these are not nearly as robust as the other surface charge ports.

TPadden

one thing about the micro usb port i would suggest everyone be very careful with the port because these are not nearly as robust as the other surface charge ports.
And you say this why????? The sky isn't falling. :eek:

I've been using / charging phones and tablets for years using USB micro ports and have yet to have a port fail. :cool:

Last edited:
OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
A few updates:

I tried a 10w 2.0A Apple iPad 2 charger. I'll make this short. Failed. It behaved the same way as the Samsung 2.0A charger above. It would charge while idle but as soon as I attempted to even open the browser it cut back to .54A at which point it's discharging even at idle and doesn't recover unless you disconnect and reconnect. It might work as an overnight charger but I wouldn't trust it unless I verified it would actually do a full charge overnight.

Did extended testing with the ASUS from above and it really delivers more than it's rated 5V 2.0A 10w even for extended periods of time. This might have something to do with it's dual mode and higher power capability because at 15v 1.2A it's rated at 18w. Regardless it had no trouble running at 5v 2.3A 11.5w for hours which is all the S3 ever asked of it.

I also tested an Anker Dual Port 20w 2.4A per port charger and it delivered 2.3A as well with no trouble while simultaneously charging a Battery Pack at 1.2A. It's a keeper.

At max charge rate while IDLE the Surface 3 will charge 20% in an hour.
There was very little difference if any between the MS charger, the Anker charger and the ASUS charger other than the Anker charger has two ports. The Anker charger is available on Amazon for 12.99. The ASUS charger is expensive at $38 and only has one port and the plug doesn't fold down. I cant really recommend it but if you have a an ASUS Transformer you probably have this charger.

Did a quick, incomplete, test with the Apple iPod 1.0A charger which seemed to plod along at a steady 1.0A which was better than the 1A HTC, of course it might not hold up during use but could possibly work as an overnight charger if you test it to make sure it will complete the task. Hey, its so small you can fit a handful of them in your carry bag. :) umm really, don't bother.

Update: retested the iPod 1.0A charger and it only went to 0.45A straight away. Another one NOT to trust.

Last edited:
OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
To contrast the slowness of micro USB charging vs power charging.

Surface 3 charged 20% in one hour while idle.

Surface 2 charged 25% in 30 minutes while idle or 50% in one hour.

Give us Type-C next time and put the beef back in charging. 1999 called and wants their charge rate back. Otherwise S3 knocks it out of the park, instead it's just a ground rule double.

The mitigation for this is a quality battery pack that can power this device. Like chargers all battery packs are not created equal. It looks like, as with chargers, you need one that can deliver 2.4A or Intelligently manage the power draw.

Two battery packs already on the failure pile:
Failed: Limefuel lp200x 20,000mAh 5V/2.1A http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OHZVN5U/

Failed: UNIFUN® 10400mAh USB External Travel Battery (2Amp In Fast Charging,2.1A /1A Out) IP66 Rugged Water/Dirt/Shockproof Power Bank. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MG9VVW4

One battery pack that worked:
Anker 2nd Gen Astro3 12800mAh 3-Port 4A Portable Charger External Battery Power Bank with PowerIQ
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CEZBKTO/ Review coming... with minor caveats.

Last edited: