What's new

Surface 3 Crack plastic top due to case.

SuperMan

i believed Surface 3 has poor built quality. The first two Surface 3 have stuck pixels at maximum brightness on a black background. And the second surface 3 replacement has a crack formed at the edge of the power button perhaps due to me taking it in and out of the the case once or twice weekly. I have never dropped the device in case or out of case. The case i used is Buy STM Dux Case for Surface 3 - Microsoft Store . I have contacted the store support and they cant do anything about the crack as it was a physical damage. I have two Ipad 2 and have no problem with the same way i use my surface 3. And also i feel that the Surface 3 magnesium vapor is less rigid than the Ipad's aluminium.

I liked the Surface 3 and microsoft suppport but i will never buy another one again.

I concluded that the Surface 3 was great but it is not as sturdy as it claimed. I felt the Surface 3 had to be kept in a hard case box to prevent anything from happening to it.

I think Surface 3 forms a butt crack to let its exhaust out. Haha.
IMG_0133.JPG

leeshor

You began your very first post with a poll that would only invite arguments. Not a great way to start. The poll has been removed. Otherwise , at some point the entire thread would get removed.

Telstar1948

I have an S3 with no issues as you have with the case. I've only dropped it once on a carpeted floor, and there was no damage at all. Aside from my experience, and I may be wrong here, but I'm thinking that portion of the case that runs along the top of the S3 isn't magnesium alloy. Anyone know for sure? The part I'm talking about has the rocker button, power button and rear camera in it.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have an S3 with no issues as you have with the case. I've only dropped it once on a carpeted floor, and there was no damage at all. Aside from my experience, and I may be wrong here, but I'm thinking that portion of the case that runs along the top of the S3 isn't magnesium alloy. Anyone know for sure? The part I'm talking about has the rocker button, power button and rear camera in it.
Yes the Top area around the buttons is plastic as noted even in the posts title. How one would crack this plastic is hard to imagine. As for the OPs musings about rigidity of MG alloy vs Aluminum, WTH, this is tinfoil hat territory and we spiral downwards from there. It is most unfortunate that the user has experienced a cluster of failures with the Surface 3 although I can sympathize as I have experienced multiple issues with SP4s, it happens a bit too often. I would love to see the statistics on failure rates but of course we never will.

If that crack is the worst of the problems I think Id consider myself fortunate but unlucky.

OP
S

SuperMan

Maybe it is not hard to imagine for the plastic to break if i explain how the surface 3 was often removed from the case. Often i have to push the both sides of the case to remove the surface 3, this caused the device to flex a bit. Since the plastic might be fixed in a tight position, a stress point was formed. Thus cracked over time. Like in the case surface pro 3 was packed too tightly such that it started to bend. The forum guidelines don't allow links to other forums. Link removed.

Last edited by a moderator:

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
You would need to apply excessive force in order for any flexing to occur, sounds like this case doesn't fit right or it wasn't designed to be removed.

Telstar1948

Yes the Top area around the buttons is plastic as noted even in the posts title. How one would crack this plastic is hard to imagine. As for the OPs musings about rigidity of MG alloy vs Aluminum, WTH, this is tinfoil hat territory and we spiral downwards from there. It is most unfortunate that the user has experienced a cluster of failures with the Surface 3 although I can sympathize as I have experienced multiple issues with SP4s, it happens a bit too often. I would love to see the statistics on failure rates but of course we never will.

If that crack is the worst of the problems I think Id consider myself fortunate but unlucky.

Ooops...my bad!

OP
S

SuperMan

Hmm I wouldn't say excessive force. A kilogram of weight applied at the crack point to open the crack slightly 0.1mm with an area the size of my finger. Even tiny amount of force can flex metal WITH plastic. Only material like glass will "not" flex.