What's new

Surface 3 locking up problem

Gartski

Hi I'm wondering if any of you guys have had any problems with your Surface just completely locking up when on screensaver and also the keyboard not working so I have to go into device manager and remove to get this working again. I have got 50 of these to roll out at work and this is starting to become a nightmare!

HeavyHanded

Smokes! I've had my Surface 3 lock up, Pen and Touch are unresponsive but keyboard and mouse work. I noticed my Surface 3 performs better after turning off TPM and device encryption, something you may not be able to as an IT guy responsible for company data. Still, when I looked into the event viewer, during the time of my lockups, TPM always had a big red exclamation point next to it. Check your resource monitor. I think the Surface 3 locks up when CPU is pressed/stressed.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was having various problems fairly frequently which *seem* to have disappeared after the last update but that mat just be a random thing you get with each update. :)

I've had my S3 lock-up, randomly, and sometimes multiple times in one day, and I can't get any response from anything. What I have to do is press the on/off button until it turns off, wait a few minutes, then turn it back on. My browser restores the previous tabs so I don't lose my place, but what I a dreading is if it freezes whilst saving a file.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've had my S3 lock-up, randomly, and sometimes multiple times in one day, and I can't get any response from anything. What I have to do is press the on/off button until it turns off, wait a few minutes, then turn it back on. My browser restores the previous tabs so I don't lose my place, but what I a dreading is if it freezes whilst saving a file.
Try running SFC /scannow at an Admin Command Prompt

Telstar1948

I was just scrolling in my browser when it locked up - everything froze. Had to hold down on power until it shut down then rebooted. I've only had it since last week, but this is the first occurrence. Since I had no other processes except scrolling in the browser, I wonder if it had a display driver issue that caused some conflict locking everything up?

BTW, is the drive on the S3 encrypted? Someone mentioned turning it off for smoother/faster performance. Is that just with the SP's or the Surface too? If it includes the Surface, how do you disable it?