What's new

Surface 3 LTE has no internet on HSPA+ network

OP
Plantje

Plantje

Last week I received a new one because I was facing an issue with the screen. I will test the new thoroughly. And in the new one the SD card is stuck, so that one will be exchanged as well. I'll test that new one very well as well.

OP
Plantje

Plantje

Hello,

By now I have tested 2 SIM cards. Because of another issue I had my Surface 3 replaced as well and the issue still exists. Since my Lumia 950 doesn't have any issues and restarting the Surface 3 it must be an issue in the internals of the Surface 3 or Windows 10. Any ideas on how to trouble shoot this next?

Thanks!

OP
Plantje

Plantje

I feel the mobile operator has done everything they could.
Last week, while in the office, I connected to the mobile network rather than to WiFi and at some point I saw it connect to HSPA+ and after a while I noticed there was no internet anymore. All I could do was restart the Surface.

This morning in the train I had to restart the Surface 3 or 4 times! And sometimes while trying to restart it takes this long that I have to hold down the powerbutton to restart it. No one has an idea? There must be some sort of logging possible right?
Is it just a bad modem adapter?

OP
Plantje

Plantje

And some added info.... I'm still hoping at some point someone will come along and have a solution...

This morning I changed the setting of the adapter and disabled the setting "Selective suspend". It seemed to go better and I even had quite a long time of internet using the HSPA+ network. Then all of a sudden it was dead again :(
The thing is: as soon as internet is gone the connection is still active and enabled; there is just no internet on the connection. And in most cases: disabling the adapter will just cause device manager to get stuck. Rebooting the Surface get stuck in a lot of cases as well... It ends up by me holding the power button.

The driver version of the adapter is 10.0.10586.0 Not sure if newer drivers are available, but in the package that I found here: Download Surface 3 LTE - Outside of North America and Y!mobile in Japan from Official Microsoft Download Center no drivers for the modem were included.

OP
Plantje

Plantje

Looks like I have to send in my third Surface 3 because of this issue: Surface 3 one year later display problem

Now, someone owning a Surface 3 who has never seen this issue pointed out the only difference is the fact that I have an LTE version. So I am wondering if any of you (with a Surface 3 LTE) recognizes this issue.

Thanks!

OP
Plantje

Plantje

Last year I have owned 4 Surface 3 LTE devices. All four of them have this issue with the HSPA+ band. It must be the adapter that is not working correctly.

Let's hope full Windows 10 on ARM will bring back descent LTE connections on a Windows 10 device that is light and sleek. I really loved my Asus Vivotab RT 3G...only culprit was the Windows RT version. Looks like that is going to change. I would definitely be happy to see a Surface 4 or 5 with a 10.8" screen, 5-6 mm thick weighing about 500 grams.