What's new

Surface 3 not connecting to external display

fanta182

basic reason for buying S3 for me was to use it for presentations to my customers.

To my surprise S3 is not able to connect to Projector or external display using MS original mind display to VGA adapter.

I took it up with MS and they sent me a replacement adapter. Not solved
I reset the machine to Win 10 formatted. Not solved

Now i have two options
- Downgrade to Win 8.1
- Get a replacement from MS for S3. However, they are not going to replace it with a brand new machine. They shall send me a refurbished machine.....they call this Like for Like replacement. My machine is only 2 months old in immaculate condition and they expect me to take a second hand machine that was returned by some user bcos of some other issue.

Any help / suggestions please.

LibbyLA

Refurbished may mean a computer that was returned by a customer who decided s/he just didn't want it. It has been gone through to be sure there aren't any problems. Your computer is not new, it's two months old.

I use a S3 with the MS adapter to display on a VGA overhead projector, but Win 8.1. Works great.

If you want to keep your computer, downgrade to Win 8.1. If it's a Win 10 driver problem, getting a replacement computer won't help.

OP
F

fanta182

thanks for your response. I downgraded to win 8.1. same issue persists.

This means that the hardware port is having a problem.

with regard to the warranty I did demand MS to just change the port. But since they do not wish to open a service centre in Malaysia they are offering a replacement.

I feel that the machine they offer me would have had some trouble and that's why it was returned. So I do not wish to get in to another problem to solve one. MS sucks with such policies.

LibbyLA

It's pretty standard policy for companies to replace under-warranty devices with refurbished ones. I have actually bought several refurbished computers and have had good luck with them.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
thanks for your response. I downgraded to win 8.1. same issue persists.

This means that the hardware port is having a problem.

with regard to the warranty I did demand MS to just change the port. But since they do not wish to open a service centre in Malaysia they are offering a replacement.

I feel that the machine they offer me would have had some trouble and that's why it was returned. So I do not wish to get in to another problem to solve one. MS sucks with such policies.
You cannot redistribute a returned computer as factory refurbished, it has to go to the manufacturer and be fixed, restored, and certified which is probably more scrutiny than new ones get. There might be some outlets that would use a different refurbishing center but it's unlikely there are that many S3's in the pipeline for that to be realistic. Maybe laws are more lax in Malaysia and the store can get away with a spit shine and new box but IDK why anyone would try that, it's sure to backfire. :)