What's new

Surface 3 one year later display problem

Plantje

On the left? As in: "on the left side of the screen"? I've always and only seen this issue in the centre of the screen where I have it again right now.

Last time I contacted Microsoft they mentioned perhaps "other solutions" were possible. I am curious to know what they are, because I am pretty much fed up with this!
A Surface Pro 4 (Core M most likely) would be acceptable/nice. However, then I will be missing out on my LTE connection :(

My girlfriend switched from a Lumia 930 to a Samsung Galaxy S7 last weekend. I am on my fourth tablet that has issues. I've had it with this! What happens when (not if) I get this issue once the warranty is gone?!?

Turbo4AWD

Yeah, just on the left side mostly...a little bit in the center of the screen, but very little. It's all still unnoticeable in regular use though. Just at startup, if I stare at it hard and look really close, I will see the spots. Almost at a year with the device and it has been the same since I bought it. Issue has not worsened. I guess because it's not my main device for everything, I just don't wear it out enough. Maybe after another year it will have issues, but by then I will probably have upgraded to a Pro 3 or 4 (especially since the firmware updates have resolved battery life and other issues with the Pro models).

OP
G

Gus

Well so far I have been rather lucky I guess. I replace mine when I started this thread and the replacement has been fine. No spots so far and I use it as a tablet daily.

I now think the original problem was caused by overheating. When I first noted the problem, I found my tablet had powered up in my bag and was on the bios screen. It had to be in my bag for an hour or so on the blue bios screen and was very hot. It was shortly after that when I noticed the spots. With my replacement device I make sure I do not put it buttons down in my bag.

Turbo4AWD

Well so far I have been rather lucky I guess. I replace mine when I started this thread and the replacement has been fine. No spots so far and I use it as a tablet daily.

I now think the original problem was caused by overheating. When I first noted the problem, I found my tablet had powered up in my bag and was on the bios screen. It had to be in my bag for an hour or so on the blue bios screen and was very hot. It was shortly after that when I noticed the spots. With my replacement device I make sure I do not put it buttons down in my bag.

Good point, this is probably why mine has not gotten any worse either. I got the keyboard cover and noticed that the issue didn't get worse, just remained the same. I've been keeping an eye on it and it has not gotten more severe and is still barely noticeable. 3 months since the keyboard was purchased...

Plantje

On my fourth one it is getting worse rapidly! Yes, it gets somewhat warm occasionally, but not really hot... I'll pay attention to that.

One thing that I was wondering... I really find it hard to believe, that I have four devices in a row that have this issue and it is not caused by something in my environment. For example: I keep an external HDD in my bag and my Surface 3 is pretty close to it. Could magnetic fields be the cause of this?

I have been thinking overheating as well, because the spots do appear on the spot where the back gets hot...one never knows how hot the internals are at that spot. Still, if that is the cause then it is really a bad design.

Currently, I am really in doubt on what to do... I can have it replaced....again... But last time Microsoft mentioned perhaps other measures where possible. To be honest, I am really not looking forward to a Surface Pro 3 or 4. They are too big, lack LTE. Would be really nice if Microsoft presents a Surface 4/5 running an ARM supporting LTE and full Windows 10. I would love to have a (partial) refund and switch.
Another option could be a Samsung Tab S Pro with LTE.

Otherwise I am starting to look for ways to get my money back and switch to a Samsung Galaxy Tab S3 with LTE and S pen. But that are still only rumours and it runs Android.

Anyway....at this point I am pretty much fed up. As soon as I have a device setup it starts showing the defect again!

SuperMan

@Plantje i know how you feel, i am already at my fourth replacement i wonder i should do the fifth replacement. I cant believe Microsoft did not do anything about it for the past 1.5 years. I am quite fed up with Microsoft. Now the screen is full of stars when in black bkground!! Seriously tired of reinstalling apps and backing up. I don't know how we can get a refund or a discount for an upgrade.

Peace.

Plantje

If this is caused by overheating I expect to see a lot more of it in a few minutes.
I have been in the car for two hours while the device was on, online and charging. And it was hot!

Turbo4AWD

Another month down and the issue is the same. I have been using my Surface 3 a LOT more than I used to and the issue has not worsened at all. Don't really notice the issue after booting up and have done everything from reading EBooks outside to watching movies/shows and when the scene in the movie/show goes black, the dots don't show up, but at boot up, the dots do. Haven't really exposed it to hot environments, but summer is coming soon so we will see.

Plantje

Still have to call and mention it to Microsoft. I too only see it at booting and when I pay close attention as soon as I have a dark screen with the brightness set to full.

Still I am wondering what Microsoft will come up with as a solution. After December this year my warranty is gone. If there is a possibility of a refund I think I will take it and go for the Samsung Galaxy Book 10.6" or even the Galaxy Tab S3.

Plantje

Hmmm... okay, I have been in contact with Microsoft. I can have the device replaced again. Or go for another option. I chose the other option this time around. That means I have to go back to the reseller and ask for my money back there. They have declined and have told me there is nothing they can do for me.

I basically still love the Surface 3 and if I were to get one that doesn't get the strange pixels issue I wouldn't think of switching right now!

What may be causing this issue? I tend to think it is over heating as well. A while ago I had connected the charger while the tablet was in the bag and the screen was on for some reason and everything was getting pretty hot. Same goes for just using the tablet: especially the area where the spots appear gets hot. Currently I even have two larger spots that look like just smudges of grease, but in fact they are similar screen spots.

At this moment I have asked Microsoft what they can do to help me out. If nothing serious comes out of that I think I will have it replaced once more and just make sure I always power it completely down before putting it in the bag.

OP
G

Gus

I once found my tablet on in my bag. It was HOT. Somehow it got into the BIOS setup sitting my bag and ever since I had the spots. Well over a year ago I had it replaced and I make sure I shut it down when I am done with it and I never put the buttons facing down in the bag. I make sure nothing comes in contact with the buttons so that I turns on accidentally. My replacement has been perfect for over a year now. I am having no issues except that hidden touch cursor that sometimes shows up where the second tab button is in Chrome. I wish there was a way to do away with that.

I really think it was an over heating issue that cause those spots.

Plantje

Haha! That's how I received my first device from the store: switched on in the BIOS screen, very hot!
I will wait what Microsoft comes up with and otherwise ask for one more replacement and make sure it doesn't run hot.

Only time when it can run hot is during normal use. That should not be an issue