What's new

Surface 3 Phantom Touches

My new Surface pro 3 (great device!!!) has phantom touches. The screen "magically" touches itself. Tha bad thing: I cannot work then. Touching myelf with full hand sometimes helps. But a few minutes later, new self-touches. Mostly in the upper right quarter of the screen. I googles and others have encountered the same problems. Some got their hardware changed. But no official information my Microsoft and no fixes (Firmware?).

Does anyone have the same problem - and what is a cure?

Tnx!
Christian.

ctitanic

My recommendation is to do a refresh and see if you still have the problem. Do the refresh with the keyboard attached to the tablet at all time while the refresh and the Windows updates after the refresh are done.

OP
C

Christian Ekhart

No screen protector, even tested without type cover attached. Every time same location (opper right part of the screen). I cannot see why a new install would solve that?

ctitanic

No screen protector, even tested without type cover attached. Every time same location (opper right part of the screen). I cannot see why a new install would solve that?
The refresh will tell us for sure if it's a software or a hardware issue. if it's a hardware issue you should call MS tech Support.

ctitanic

Do not forget to have the keyboard the Whole time attached during the refreshing and updating process.

mohcho

I'm digging this thread up instead of creating a new one, but I am having similar issues, but ONLY with the type cover closed.

When I have the type cover closed, the SP3 is occasionally registering touches at the top middle of the screen and it only stops when I open the cover. I normally work with a USB dock and dual monitors so the SP3 screen is not on or is being used.

I keep BOTH the screen and the keyboard clean and have ensured that they are both spotless, but sometimes, it registers a touch. Any thoughts on how to remedy this?

kozak79

I had this on a replacement unit. A reset didn't help, it would register phantom touches even through the setup process. I sent it back for another replacement.

Alpha Sierra

I had this on a replacement unit. A reset didn't help, it would register phantom touches even through the setup process. I sent it back for another replacement.

I am coming into this discussion very late as I did not have this problem. But I start having this problem since last night. It was driving me crazy. Anyway I googled the problem and a lot and finally found a solution.

There is a firmware download from originally touch screen maker that provide touch screen for SPro3.
http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/swu-download.pl?mdl=SVF15N190X&upd_id=9338&os_group_id=27
Once the you have downloaded you will find a called Calib4.exe, please run it and don't touch the screen while it is running, once it is done the problem disappears.

Fazer Rider

====

I am coming into this discussion very late as I did not have this problem. But I start having this problem since last night. It was driving me crazy. Anyway I googled the problem and a lot and finally found a solution.

There is a firmware download from originally touch screen maker that provide touch screen for SPro3.
http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/swu-download.pl?mdl=SVF15N190X&upd_id=9338&os_group_id=27
Once the you have downloaded you will find a called Calib4.exe, please run it and don't touch the screen while it is running, once it is done the problem disappears.

I had the "yellow band" problem and later on, off and on "ghost touches". The ghost touches appeared more frequent and every time on the same spot, as well during setup. The screen went inresponsive, the mousecursor moved to the ghost spot.

Switching off touch (I could work with a mouse) "resolved" the problem. Sort of :).

Called Microsoft and got advise to update drivers, calibrate the screen and do a full reset, switch back to windows 8.1 (I was on 10 prerelease). Knowing that would be in vain (because I was sure it was a hardware related problem) I skipped advise and called my reseller (Paradigit in Holland).

Quit a familiar problem, they said, and definitely hardware related.

I send in my machine and got a new? one back (with the same serial number!). I don't know for sure if the machine was brand new, or if they just replaced the screen. The back of the machine was now scratchless, everything looked new. Just the same serialnumber.

My advice: replace the unit.

geogprof

Many thanks to Alpha Sierra. The touch panel calibration tool at Sony eSupport - SVF15N190X - Drivers & Software fixed the phantom touch problem for me. Too bad the Microsoft tech support person I chatted with did not know about this. One would hope that Microsoft tech support puts this fix in their data base before telling people to Restore Factor Settings (which would have wiped out some of the software I had added to my SP3).