What's new

Surface 3 Pro - Battery Drain in Sleep Mode

kfrank

I've read through the number of posts on this and still cannot find a resolution to my issue.

First, Surface Pro 3 with Windows 10. Computer is about 2 months old. Buggy little sucker but I do really like it. With that said, I'm seeing considerable battery drain in sleep mode.

Each day, I leave the office and take the Surface off the docking station, connect my Type keyboard, close the lid, and stick it in my bag. The next day, when I get to work, I put the Surface back onto the dock. Many times, the battery is dead at this point, with minimal to no usage overnight.

Today, I ran the sleep study analysis. For starters, here's the main culprit:
upload_2015-10-13_8-9-17.png

upload_2015-10-13_8-7-22.png

upload_2015-10-13_8-8-23.png

Any thoughts?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just seems to be a win 10 thing. With both my sp3 and s3 if I don't turn them off at night then they will be dead come morning every single time.

OP
K

kfrank

Could be hughlle and I agree turning it off is a workaround. I would hope that's not the long-term solution. Part of the benefit of having the tablet-style computer is the ability to quickly turn it on. Beyond that, I leave the office with apps open because I'm working on something I haven't finished. It's nice to have those apps ready to go when I start back up again.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
OK, you've run the sleep study, now go ahead in run the same command but replace -sleepstudy with -energy so we can see the actual program that is consuming the CPU time when it supposed to be in S0iX....

OP
K

kfrank

Doh! Realtek....

No SD card inserted. How do I check for firmware updates? The Surface is set to automatic updates and the option to turn it off is greyed out (if that helps).

OP
K

kfrank

As an aside, I checked the driver for Realtek through the device manager and it's currently up to date.

OP
K

kfrank

Appreciate the links jnjroach.

The first one talks specifically to a problem with an SD card. Beyond that, all it says is that Microsoft and Intel are working on a fix for something else. Not sure how this is relevant to my issue (please don't mistaken this for being rude...just not sure if this is my issue). I haven't ever connected an SD card to this Surface and just looked through the device manager for an SD card Realtek driver and am not finding anything.

The second one is a lengthy discussion about issues with the SD card driver from Realtek. There's some discussion about the audio driver but I don't see any resolution to the problem in the discussion. Maybe I'm overlooking it.

Do you have anything specific I could try? I do very much appreciate the help.

Thanks.
KC

OP
K

kfrank

I disabled the Realtek audio device, then pulled the device from the base, attached the keyword and closed the lid for an hour. Drained 2%. Typically drains between 3 and 4%/hour overnight.