What's new

Surface 3 Shut Down Issue

awesome

Hi everyone,

I am a proud new owner. This is my first Surface product. It has been 3 days so far and I love it. I have the 4gb version. I really like how it runs really cool and quiet. However, I tried a game and it got warmer than usual and shut down every time. It is not a very high end game, if I lower the settings it doesn't shut down. It happened couple of times during the game and once I quit the game (it was warm already). I opened a movie and a youtube video at the same time and it shut down again. I checked the backside of the surface and it was warmer than usual.

In summary, my question is: is it normal for Surface 3 to shut down when it overheats? I never had the same problem with the daily use. I appreciate if someone can help me out. I just need to know that my surface 3 is ok not defective.

Thanks in advance.

Telstar1948

I don't have an S3, but I've not seen other owners of the S3 remarking on their device shutting down except under extreme conditions. Your situation doesn't reach that threshold. Perhaps it's a firmware issue, but you might want to talk to the MS people at an MS store, if you have one near you, or chat with MS people at MS Support. It really sounds like a hardware issue.

Bryanmsi

It sounds like a hardware issue to me too. I've played games on my S3 with no issue, even with high constant CPU loads.

OP
A

awesome

Thanks for the info guys. The thing is I played the game again last night and it didn't shut down this time. I think I made new updates that fixed the issue. The only difference that I can think of is this time I used the stand. Previous shut downs occurred while I was holding the surface on my lap. I don't know if that might cause to overheat. I don't think it is a hardware issue because everything is working very good. Do any of you know if surface 3 has a security measure to shut down if it overheats or sonething?

Telstar1948

All of them will shut down IF they get past the heat ceiling designed into them. As far as using it on your lap, I wouldn't expect there to be more heat unless the device is lying flat on your lap (or most any other location). I've had my SP3 get pretty warm lying flat on a table or something during intensive use, but it's never shut down. If I did that on a hot patio table in direct sun, I would expect it to, at some point, probably shut down.