What's new

Surface 3 sleep when charging bug

timfg

I've been using the S3 to play Spotify in the last couple of days to a Bluetooth speaker, whilst leaving the S3 plugged in some distance away. And it keeps sleeping after a few minutes - so I adjusted the sleep settings when on power to 3 hours - and it makes no difference, the S3 just seems to ignore the setting, even after restarts etc. Anyone else see this, or found a resolution?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Which browser are you using? The S3 uses Connected Standby and only an App that is using the correct API will continue to function while it is Connected Standby. Xbox Music (aka Groove Music in Windows 10) will continue to play while the machine is in Connected Standby.

Using MUI IE should work....

OP
T

timfg

Which browser are you using? The S3 uses Connected Standby and only an App that is using the correct API will continue to function while it is Connected Standby. Xbox Music (aka Groove Music in Windows 10) will continue to play while the machine is in Connected Standby.

Using MUI IE should work....

I'm using the Spotify desktop app. But that's not really the point - I might be able to wrok around it with a different choice of client, but the real issue is: Why doesn't the S3 acknowledge what's set in the power / sleep settings?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I'm using the Spotify desktop app. But that's not really the point - I might be able to wrok around it with a different choice of client, but the real issue is: Why doesn't the S3 acknowledge what's set in the power / sleep settings?
Desktop Applications (all Win32) applications will suspend when a machine goes into Connected Standby. Is the device on battery or plugged in? All of the 3rd Gen Devices uses a firmware level power management and thermal control system, it is designed for maximum battery life, this system runs below the OS. If you want it to remain on, prevent it from Sleeping while on Mains (plugged in), this will also leave the screen on at all times.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think you are getting confused @jnjroach (assuming i'm not)

To me it sounds like the issue in question here is why, when he has set the power options not to put the surface to sleep until 3 hours, doe it still go to sleep after a few minutes.

I have no issue like this on my S3 (I have it set to never go to sleep so i can listen to audio books). I'm wondering if there is possibly a difference on the surface between sleep and screen off (there is on windows 10) and that even the screen turning off (but the device not going to sleep) is causing apps to halt their operations.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Under Windows 8.1 Sleep and Screen Off on Connected Standby Machines are the same setting, changing one changes the other, Windows 10 allows you set sleep different if configured first but adjusting the Screen Off setting will set Sleep to the same as Screen Off....

OP
T

timfg

hughlle has it correct. To work around the machine sleeping whilst playing to a speaker outside, I set the sleep when powered to 3 hours. It doesn't work, it sleeps - or, at least, the screen goes black and Spotify stops playing - after (oddly) about 15 minutes. The display off, I note in the advanced power settings, is set to 180m (after absorbing what you posted about display off/sleep amounting to the same thing on the S3).

I wonder if this could be anything to do with the security settings imposed by my connection to work Exchange server. Regardless, I can't see this is anything less than a clear bug: If the secutiry constraints are anything to do with it, I shouldn't be able to select the settings I have, in the same way that I cannot deselect the 'require a password from the lock screen' setting (it's greyed out)

Attachments

• Fullscreen capture 23072015 005708.jpg
    Fullscreen capture 23072015 005708.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 439
Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
hughlle has it correct. To work around the machine sleeping whilst playing to a speaker outside, I set the sleep when powered to 3 hours. It doesn't work, it sleeps - or, at least, the screen goes black and Spotify stops playing - after (oddly) about 15 minutes. The display off, I note in the advanced power settings, is set to 180m (after absorbing what you posted about display off/sleep amounting to the same thing on the S3).

I wonder if this could be anything to do with the security settings imposed by my connection to work Exchange server. Regardless, I can't see this is anything less than a clear bug: If the secutiry constraints are anything to do with it, I shouldn't be able to select the settings I have, in the same way that I cannot deselect the 'require a password from the lock screen' setting (it's greyed out)
Exchange Active Sync Policies can in fact override all local policies, and with a Connected Standby device on Windows 8.1 screen off=S0iX Connected Standby...

narse77

Yup this is your Corporate policies. If I have mine on EAS or the domain it does the same. I had to make a collection in SCCM and in AD to keep it from happening.

OP
T

timfg

Can you elaborate on this a little @narse77?

It's a bit bloody irritating: I'd be surprised if the security policy requires that the device sleeps after `15 minutes, only that it goes to Lock Screen (which would be fine, Spotify will still run behind it).

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Can you elaborate on this a little @narse77?

It's a bit bloody irritating: I'd be surprised if the security policy requires that the device sleeps after `15 minutes, only that it goes to Lock Screen (which would be fine, Spotify will still run behind it).
EAS has Power Management Policies as well as Security Policies (Such as "Screen Off after...."). Most of the MDM/MAM Solutions used today hook into these EAS Policies. On a Connected Standby enabled machine screen off=connected standby....