What's new

Surface 3... what do you want!?

OP
CrippsCorner

CrippsCorner

Which Surface was she referring to? Obviously not Surface 2 as its weight would be comparable to the iPad 4.

Unfortunately to the general public a Surface is a Surface. It doesn't matter what model it is.

You can't beat the ignorant consumer who gets information from ignorant sources or is easily led astray by hearsay, unfortunately. :)

Nope but the problem is that's where 85% of the buyers come from... so as I said, something Microsoft needs to work on! I don't know how really, but time and good advertising should get there eventually.

kristalsoldier

Unfortunately to the general public a Surface is a Surface. It doesn't matter what model it is.

Nope but the problem is that's where 85% of the buyers come from... so as I said, something Microsoft needs to work on! I don't know how really, but time and good advertising should get there eventually.

Yes, I get that. But what was she specifically referring to?

SEANT

These hardware upgrades all sound good, but just as importantly, I think, Microsoft has to continue upgrading the OS. Windows 8.2, perhaps.

I posted here what I'd like to see as an OS upgrade. I think it would be useful for both Pro and RT, but the newer 8" Pro devises may find the feature critical.

kristalsoldier

These hardware upgrades all sound good, but just as importantly, I think, Microsoft has to continue upgrading the OS. Windows 8.2, perhaps.

I posted here what I'd like to see as an OS upgrade. I think it would be useful for both Pro and RT, but the newer 8" Pro devises may find the feature critical.

Agreed! I think in terms of hardware, the Surface 2 is probably optimal - well, perhaps a few things such as a better battery, an active digitiser with inking capability (though that would be a problem if the question of distinguishing it from the Pro arose) etc.

But the key is Win 8.1 (particularly RT). The more optimised it is, the better the Surface 2 will be and that, I think, is where MS should probably focus its energies.

oion

Agreed! I think in terms of hardware, the Surface 2 is probably optimal - well, perhaps a few things such as a better battery, an active digitiser with inking capability (though that would be a problem if the question of distinguishing it from the Pro arose) etc.

But the key is Win 8.1 (particularly RT). The more optimised it is, the better the Surface 2 will be and that, I think, is where MS should probably focus its energies.

All of the hardware suggestions in these types of threads eventually fall into the "impossible" or "completely impractical" categories.

Cost, energy efficiency--these are things end-users who add lists here and elsewhere never think about. How much would a Wacom active digitizer cost and how much power would it need? Those are the two reasons why I'm dubious about MS adding an active digitizer+pen to the RT line, but would rather prefer they enable the Tegra4+ DirectStylus. Then of course, the distinguishing between lines.

Then some people are still whining about a chassis silo for the Pro pen, when there are technical arguments against that: requires a thinner, less comfortable pen; requires a longer chassis which means heavier and bulkier. Seriously, this is not rocket science to figure out on your own.

People ask for thinner, but that's impossible with the Surface 2. MS has already said the Surface will keep the USB port. Lighter? Sure, if we get rid of the metal chassis and Gorilla glass, things I'm not willing to give up.

Then for the Surface Pro line, if you ask for thinner and a faster processor, where will the heat go and how much space is left for the other components? If you want to add GPS/LTE, where do those modules go and how much would it add to the cost?

Practically speaking, where MS has the most room for improvement is indeed the OS. Maybe some further super-engineering-patent-wizardry for the kickstand.

kristalsoldier

All of the hardware suggestions in these types of threads eventually fall into the "impossible" or "completely impractical" categories.

Cost, energy efficiency--these are things end-users who add lists here and elsewhere never think about. How much would a Wacom active digitizer cost and how much power would it need? Those are the two reasons why I'm dubious about MS adding an active digitizer+pen to the RT line, but would rather prefer they enable the Tegra4+ DirectStylus. Then of course, the distinguishing between lines.

Then some people are still whining about a chassis silo for the Pro pen, when there are technical arguments against that: requires a thinner, less comfortable pen; requires a longer chassis which means heavier and bulkier. Seriously, this is not rocket science to figure out on your own.

People ask for thinner, but that's impossible with the Surface 2. MS has already said the Surface will keep the USB port. Lighter? Sure, if we get rid of the metal chassis and Gorilla glass, things I'm not willing to give up.

Then for the Surface Pro line, if you ask for thinner and a faster processor, where will the heat go and how much space is left for the other components? If you want to add GPS/LTE, where do those modules go and how much would it add to the cost?

Practically speaking, where MS has the most room for improvement is indeed the OS. Maybe some further super-engineering-patent-wizardry for the kickstand.

And the battery...surely they can improve the battery.

oion

And the battery...surely they can improve the battery.

I don't know if mass-produced battery technology has had an innovation in the past decade, honestly. I think that specific aspect is out of Microsoft's hands. A combination of hardware+software leading to more battery life, though, is all these companies are (and can be) doing right now... which is why for every "wishlist item" here I wonder just how that affects battery life, along with cost.

After all, if you're going to build smaller and lighter, the battery will be smaller. All stop.

kristalsoldier

I don't know if mass-produced battery technology has had an innovation in the past decade, honestly. I think that specific aspect is out of Microsoft's hands. A combination of hardware+software leading to more battery life, though, is all these companies are (and can be) doing right now... which is why for every "wishlist item" here I wonder just how that affects battery life, along with cost.

After all, if you're going to build smaller and lighter, the battery will be smaller. All stop.

Hmmm...Odd though because o my recent trip overseas, while I did take the charger for the iPad, I did not use it once. And, while the iPad saw a lot less use than the Surface, I have yet to charge it and the battery meter shows a charge of 52% and this is after 2 weeks on the road. It can't all be software!

polbit

I would like to see i7, pen storage, another USB 3.0, maybe full SD slot instead of micro, and of course even better battery life, but mostly fix the software glitches, and update ALL of windows for high DPI screen. Hate seeing all the admin tools fuzzy, etc.

Other than that, love the device.

oion

Hmmm...Odd though because o my recent trip overseas, while I did take the charger for the iPad, I did not use it once. And, while the iPad saw a lot less use than the Surface, I have yet to charge it and the battery meter shows a charge of 52% and this is after 2 weeks on the road. It can't all be software!

It's hardware and software. Apple OSes have been demonstrated to be more energy efficient than Windows (I believe it was in laptop comparisons). The iPad and Surface have different hardware. Windows RT has far more processes and services running than iOS due to greater capabilities. You think it can't be all software? How about the firmware patch that supposedly made the Pro 2 jump in battery life? ;)

I would like to see i7, pen storage, another USB 3.0, maybe full SD slot instead of micro, and of course even better battery life, but mostly fix the software glitches, and update ALL of windows for high DPI screen. Hate seeing all the admin tools fuzzy, etc.

Other than that, love the device.

You (and everyone else "wishlisting" these things) really should try to counter my post #29. :p

So you want--a larger chassis for pen silo and more ports, a smaller pen, heavier chassis because it's bigger, a hungrier CPU meaning more heat thus larger battery meaning more weight. Gotcha. :)

Engineering isn't magic. The reason why some people complain about "compromises" at this end of the device spectrum is precisely because there are compromises; look at the iFixit teardowns and imagine where you'd put the extra ports and silo and such. I'm countering most things in this thread because when they're taken together, they're completely unreasonable (like all those improvements plus "should cost $300 less"). Otherwise if the thinking is merely "I don't care if it's impossible but this is my dream machine," this thread loses any and all interesting potential points of discussion and belongs in off-topic...