What's new

Surface 3... what do you want!?

kristalsoldier

It's hardware and software. Apple OSes have been demonstrated to be more energy efficient than Windows (I believe it was in laptop comparisons). The iPad and Surface have different hardware. Windows RT has far more processes and services running than iOS due to greater capabilities. You think it can't be all software? How about the firmware patch that supposedly made the Pro 2 jump in battery life? ;)

True. As I mentioned in a post above, I think MS's focus should be on software/ OS optimization.

Dane

I'd be willing to compromise on a smaller battery, and thus some battery life, for a lighter-weight machine. Hopefully Broadwell will bring more efficiency so the current battery-life can be maintained with a smaller battery so the device itself can be slimmed down and made lighter at the same time.

I don't really care about pen storage personally, but wouldn't scoff at having an extra magnetic port placed on the left-hand side of the machine.

I'd also like to see a full-size SD reader if they can squeeze one in. Micro-SD is fine for some extra storage, but useless for those of us wanting to use it for tranfering photos from our cameras, etc.

Otherwise I'm happy with the device. I probably won't be buying the next generation because I can't afford to update that quickly, but it's nice to see progress. :)

kristalsoldier

I was just watching Panos' presentation of the Surface 2. In it, he clearly stated that his device (the one that he handed to MJF) had details (or the roadmap) of the next three generations that would succeed the Surface 2. Now, assuming that he was not saying that for effect, then it means that the MS/ Surface development team has already worked out what the next features - at least in rough - will be.

The challenge for us users is to work out what these can be - and here, let's be as realistic as possible based on the current (i.e., Surface 2) hardware, design, and capabilities.

Let me take a stab at this (albeit with some trepidation):

Better/ more powerful SoC (care to guess what that would be?)
Can't get thinner given the presence of the USB port, which is there to stay.
Can it get lighter? I'd guess yes.
Better screen? Possible, but would have a consequent impact on battery.
So, perhaps a better battery (which would be even further optimized by the software)
Modifications to the kickstand - possible, but I wonder what else they could do. Perhaps they could design a mechanism that would allow for more angles defined by the user rather than the user being restricted to just two angles.
I don't think they would mess around with the basic aesthetics too much. Though it may be the case that they could make the bezels a little thinner.
Upgrade the speakers - they certainly should and it is doable, I think.

What else do you folks think they could do to the Surface? Note that this is a slightly different question than what the OP posted. This is not about what we want (ideally), but what the logical progression of the second generation of the Surface RT can be.

Thanks in advance.

I think that Panos was engaging in hyperbole... Or he was talking about a generation for each model (RT, Pro, Mini). He claimed that the TypeCover2 was as thin as the TouchCover1...that simply is not true. So, in my book, I have reason to doubt anything he says.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I was with the team in New York and if I was to guess based on what I heard, I would think Surface 3 (not Pro 3) would be a NVidia 64bit SoC with 4GB RAM with a QHD Display and 802.11 AC.

Pro will be Broadwell SoC with the exact same dimensions as the first 2 Generations so that the accessories all work with other incremental improvements (802.11 AC, QHD Display, improved cameras).

kristalsoldier

I think that Panos was engaging in hyperbole... Or he was talking about a generation for each model (RT, Pro, Mini). He claimed that the TypeCover2 was as thin as the TouchCover1...that simply is not true. So, in my book, I have reason to doubt anything he says.

Mini? What Mini? Has MS announced one?

Insofar as what Panos said - well, we have no way to know what MS is up to. But what is certain is that there will be at least another generation of Surface (RT) devices and my question was related to that - not some speculation.

kristalsoldier

I was with the team in New York and if I was to guess based on what I heard, I would think Surface 3 (not Pro 3) would be a NVidia 64bit SoC with 4GB RAM with a QHD Display and 802.11 AC.

Pro will be Broadwell SoC with the exact same dimensions as the first 2 Generations so that the accessories all work with other incremental improvements (802.11 AC, QHD Display, improved cameras).

Restricting myself to the Surface and not the Pro, I think it would be interesting to see such a device. That paired with a 8.2 RT further refined + Office Gemini would be an excellent proposition!

polbit

So you want--a larger chassis for pen silo and more ports, a smaller pen, heavier chassis because it's bigger, a hungrier CPU meaning more heat thus larger battery meaning more weight. Gotcha. :)

Engineering isn't magic. The reason why some people complain about "compromises" at this end of the device spectrum is precisely because there are compromises; look at the iFixit teardowns and imagine where you'd put the extra ports and silo and such. I'm countering most things in this thread because when they're taken together, they're completely unreasonable (like all those improvements plus "should cost $300 less"). Otherwise if the thinking is merely "I don't care if it's impossible but this is my dream machine," this thread loses any and all interesting potential points of discussion and belongs in off-topic...

Actually TDP of i7 is same I believe, but I was talking about Broadwell next year, hence the Surface Pro 3, not 2 ;)

I'm quite certain that all those items can be done next year, although full SD slot still takes a lot of space, so I can understand if MS sticks with MicroSD.

As far as the pen silo, I know it would take a lot of space, but it's just annoying the way it is now. I never take the pen with me, thank goodness I can use my Note II pen. Which is in a silo. On a phone. But it's tiny and nowhere near as comfortable as the Surface pen. So there! :)

Last edited:

bluegrass

Probably too early to be discussing this! But alas... can you think of improvements you'd wanna see on the next models?

New sizes? Personally the 'Mini' wouldn't really hold much interest for me, but I could see a small increase of up to maybe 13" or just over. Any bigger though and it won't fit on it's dedicated desk space!

Thinner and lighter is pretty obvious, everyone always wants that. As mine is mostly docked it's not a big deal but I wouldn't mind seeing fan-less, if they can continue to have as much power. My Surface Pro feels like it's going to take off each time the screensaver comes on.

This maybe a bit more left-field but I wouldn't mind seeing inductive charging. I now only have two cables connected to my Surface... HDMI and the power cable. Hopefully one day soon Miracast will be good enough to rid of one of those, and if I could literally just place the Surface on to a mat to charge it, that'd be amazing! I'd never have to plug anything in again :)

Why do you have a docking station if all you have is two cables? You would have the same two cables without a docking station.

Mini? What Mini? Has MS announced one?
No, that would be one of the "generations".

Insofar as what Panos said - well, we have no way to know what MS is up to. But what is certain is that there will be at least another generation of Surface (RT) devices and my question was related to that - not some speculation.
That was my point. It still IS speculation. Just because Panos Panay said something doesn't mean (A) it is true. (B) Was true when he said it, but "plans change".

You're putting way too much value in what he said when it was meant to be an attempt at a playful challenge.

There is absolutely no guarantee that there will be a Surface 3.

kristalsoldier

No, that would be one of the "generations".

That was my point. It still IS speculation. Just because Panos Panay said something doesn't mean (A) it is true. (B) Was true when he said it, but "plans change".

You're putting way too much value in what he said when it was meant to be an attempt at a playful challenge.

There is absolutely no guarantee that there will be a Surface 3.

Ummm....beg to differ...sorry. And considered in existential terms, really, there is no certainty about anything. But it is more than likely that there will be a Surface 3 next year...like there was an iPad Air and a Nexus 5 this year....

OP
CrippsCorner

CrippsCorner

Why do you have a docking station if all you have is two cables? You would have the same two cables without a docking station.

I guess this is just me not making things clear... when I say 'dock' I just mean it's sitting on my desk, rather than on the move around my house. I agree, a docking station would be pretty useless for me!