What's new

Surface 3 with Windows 8.1 Enterprise?

Ringo

I want to test and have been trying to upgrade my Surface 3 to Windows 8.1 Enterprise x64 (trial version) using the instructions here:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...9FVLSi1HWh9wysoEnQjS5nw&bvm=bv.96952980,d.cWw

Problem is, whenever I try to boot to the USB key I created, it doesn't kick off the install, but rather skips the USB key, and then boots to the existing installation on the Surface Hard Drive. I tried editing the Boot settings, Advance Recovery boot, etc etc with no success...

Has anyone tried this and got it to work?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Is the drive formatted FAT32? As that is the only type that is bootable with UEFI....

OP
R

Ringo

Is the drive formatted FAT32? As that is the only type that is bootable with UEFI....
Hey...that worked!!! Don't know how I missed that previously after creating USB install drives a gazillion times, but its working now.

When I boot to USB on the Surface, I have to swap back and forth with a USB Mouse and the USB Install Drive as my Surface 2 Type Keyboard does not work. Not a problem, except when I get to the "Where do you want to install Windows" screen and on the bottom, it reads "Windows can't be installed on this device" with error code "0x80300001". I googled this, found DiskPart, Clean, Convert GPT instructions which I was able to do successfully with a USB keyboard. But still, when I go through the install screens (swapping USB mouse with USB Install Key), I still get "Windows can't be installed on this device" with error code "0x80300001".

Is there another way to get around this? Many Many Thanks!

OP
R

Ringo

I concur with Grey's suggestion of using the Hub, also I would use the Microsoft Deployment Toolkit to make my image.... walkthrough here:

https://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Ignite/2015/BRK3327
Hi,

Thanks all for your input...and yes, I did try an Anker USB hub with no success in getting both the Keyboard/Mouse and USB Key to work. The Keyboard/mouse worked...but not the USB Key when connected to the USB 3.0 Anker hub.

Thanks for the link...I will definitely review and give it a go.

Just one thing I noticed...is that when I kick off the USB key install and eventually go to Diskpart and do a List Disk command...it reports the Surface Hard Drive as Disk 1 (with no other Drives listed). Shouldn't it be Disk 0...and could that be the issue of why it wont install? Just throwing it out there as possibility. Thanks.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Hi,

Thanks all for your input...and yes, I did try an Anker USB hub with no success in getting both the Keyboard/Mouse and USB Key to work. The Keyboard/mouse worked...but not the USB Key when connected to the USB 3.0 Anker hub.

Thanks for the link...I will definitely review and give it a go.

Just one thing I noticed...is that when I kick off the USB key install and eventually go to Diskpart and do a List Disk command...it reports the Surface Hard Drive as Disk 1 (with no other Drives listed). Shouldn't it be Disk 0...and could that be the issue of why it wont install? Just throwing it out there as possibility. Thanks.
You shouldn't need to use diskpart....what happens if you do a normal install just via the wizard?