What's new

Surface auto-shut down when battery reaches 5%.

arsi123

Is there any way to prevent the Surface from automatically shutting down when the battery reaches 5%?

I feel it's a waste of 5% of battery if the OS does not allow it to be utilised ...

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
You can modify this Settings under the Advanced Power Settings in the Power Options Desktop Control Panel, click change plan settings then Advanced Settings.

HTH,

OP
A

arsi123

When I go into "Critical battery action" for "On battery", the only option available is "Shut down." There's no option for "Do nothing."

EDIT: Never mind. I just changed the "Critical battery level." Thanks anyways for your help! :)

EDIT 2: It didn't work. When I change the Critical battery level to anything below 5%, it automatically changes it back to 5% ... What to do?

Last edited:

bosamar

I'm old school and like to drain the battery to less than 10% once a week. IMO it's good practice to exercise the battery. Of course this old fart may be wrong. I also think these new tech batteries can take a lot of punishment. No worries as far as I'm concerned.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Then that is the level that is programmed into the Firmware and I don't think there is much we can do about it....sorry

OP
A

arsi123

I'm old school and like to drain the battery to less than 10% once a week. IMO it's good practice to exercise the battery. Of course this old fart may be wrong. I also think these new tech batteries can take a lot of punishment. No worries as far as I'm concerned.

That is indeed good practice. Draining a battery completely frequently is never a good idea (hence, that's why I assume Microsoft have kept the minimum level to 5% before the device shuts off/hibernates), but once in a while is always good to ensure that it's calibrated well.

However, I just wanted to squeeze a bit more life out of the battery, before it reaches 0%. I was wondering whether the Surface could run until, say around, 2% before it shuts down. Admittedly, 2-3% extra battery life is not going to make a mountain of difference, but as they say, "every little helps."

Last edited:
OP
A

arsi123

Then that is the level that is programmed into the Firmware and I don't think there is much we can do about it....sorry

Hmm, so is there no way to bypass this? I mean, even through a few registry tweaks? The RT does have a command prompt; can we not put that to the test?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Sure, you can explore the Registry but this is a much more closed system than Windows x86, there are decisions that we made for both performance and battery. Unlike Windows x86 the troubleshooting method is to do a hard reset rather than attempting to do break/fix, this lowers the TCO and again the idea is to give a better consumer experience by preventing Software/Code Rot as we see in legacy Windows Win32 Applications....

Last edited: