What's new

Surface Book and DisplayLink

geraldem

Hi, has anyone gotten their SB to work with the Targus DisplayLink dock? My SP3 worked great with this dock, but I can't get the SB to recognize the monitors at all.

thanks

kimknapp

Yes. I am using the Tagus and running two 1920 x 1200 monitors. When in this mode I have the Book display off and closed. Works great.
Also, from what I have seen in other threads, it seems like the 1920 x 1200 or 1048 displays on the DisplayLink are more stable than the 4K on the Book Dock.
However, occasionally, I have seen is the same problem I have heard about the Surface Dock for the Book, where it never finds the DisplayLink. I have to start it up without the Targus plugged in and then plug it in. I suspect this might be a USB problem of some sort. I had an external SSD plugged into one of the Book's USB ports and the DisplayLink plugged into another. Was using the tablet separately the night before and turned it off when done. When I plugged it into the keyboard and turned on the power, it did not even recognize the SSD. Popped the top, restarted it, waited until I could log in and re-docked the top. Then, everything started working.

giliav

I'm using the Dell 3.0 multi monitor display link dock (D3100) and it works fine with two 1920x1080 monitors attached.

AnonymousCoward

We are using Targus USB3 docks at work, and they work with my SB. Needed to get the latest drivers off the DisplayLink website though (v7.9 M3). Works with both 1 and 2 external monitors.

AnonymousCoward

We use the Targus USB3 docks at work. Works with my SB, with 1x or 2x external monitors. Just needed to get the latest drivers (v7.9 M3) from Displaylink website.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The company I work for uses this dock and I have been unsuccessful at getting my SB to work on it.
Head over to www.displaylink.com and download the latest drivers from there, uninstall the existing drivers and then install those. IIRC Displaylink doesn't play nice with the NVIDIA drivers, so you may need to change the default to the Intel Driver for 3D.