What's new

Surface book battery issues

Wu2kayY

Hi all,

I am still suffering from extreme battery problems on my Surface Book i7, dGPU.

The problem is not necessarily the drain during sleep, but the overall battery life. I am getting about 5 hours with Windows Hello turned off (was actually never installed).

Is there any fix for this yet, or is there an update coming up soon?

Thanks!

Aegeas

If I was getting that kind of battery life I would be doing a full refresh or joining the Fast ring and getting the new version of the OS. I get 11-12 hours out of my i7 16gb. Beware of Chrome and other old apps. They are the battery killers.

OP
W

Wu2kayY

Well I just Hope that it is not a hardware problem since I am located in Germany.

I will check out fast ring tomorrow.

Chrome already deinstalled...

Still very disappointing

leeshor

There are probably some things you could do to extend that battery life some and just wait another week or so for the major update to roll out.

OP
W

Wu2kayY

I am going to try new windows build 10565. However do you think this going to help?

Wouldnt I need a firmware update specific to surface book in order to resolve these kind of issues?

leeshor

You can tell your Book to go into the Insiders program and fast ring it. No need to figure out any special drivers.

OP
W

Wu2kayY

just joined fast ring and updated to build 10586, doesnt work...

Also updated display drivers to version 2013 instead of 2006, still 1:30 @ 35%

There are probably some things you could do to extend that battery life some and just wait another week or so for the major update to roll out.

Do you believe the next major update will fix some of the critical issues with the SB? For example, I was using IE for about an hour in clipboard mode when the screen just froze. Volume button and power button worked but the screen was basically unresponsive. Had to hold the power button down for a while to shut it down. Will issues like this be resolved with Win 10 updates?

leeshor

I do feel that the next "major" update, equivalent to a service pack 1, technically known as Threshold 2 and now Fall update will correct a lot of current issues. But I can say that your freezing problem will be one of them. I suspect it will fix it.

OP
W

Wu2kayY

Well I installed build 10586, so technically I already have the fall update right? Since this update didnt resolve battery issues, ''actual'' update wont either I guess.

OP
W

Wu2kayY

Nope, how do you determine battery consumption in task manager anyway? The CPU seems to be running normal @ below 10%, and fan is not present most of the time...