What's new

Surface Book is a Serious Scientific Machine

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
The Surface Book has become my scientific workhorse. I only received it a week ago.

The first week included a business trip, movie watching, number crunching with Matlab and Excel, playing music from a 132 GB library on SD card, revisiting a Visual Basic 6 project, clipboard mode on an airplane for very pleasant magazine reading, Web browsing from home and from a public Wifi, a bit of geologic mapping, and some sketchwork.

I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

Screenshot (12).png

Screenshot (18).png

Last edited:

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Kind of a given. The surface pro is a serious scientific machine, so this wouldn't really be any different. Powerful, portable, versatile.

mtalinm

I have a surface pro 3. sure for light calculations it is fine, but it can't compete with a quad-core full-voltage machine

Tell me about it ... :( Luckily I'm working in the environmental part of this business and there are to many spills and old skeletons to clean ...

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
The first ten days with my Surface Book have been very productive. I'm glad about this purchase.
Though @mtalinm say it is wrong for me because it is not "quad-core and full-voltage", I like it because it gets the job done, and plays my tunes while I work. I spent much of today streaming my music to a Bluetooth speaker across the room.
Critics could always play "topper" and name some features any given machine does not provide, but this one is mine, not theirs. :) To each, his own!

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Updated to Build 10586 today. Running smoothly. No watermark on bottom-right of screen.

Screenshot (18).png